The Newsroom

BBC Local News

BBC Spotlight (Plymouth) is the latest reigon to get a new studio. (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PE
peterrocket Founding member
I think each Nation (in that BBC way) all use different systems.

From memory, Scotland use Avid, Wales use a Grass Valley system and NI use Cinegy - a system also used by ITV

And of course getting material between each region is fun.
DE
deejay
Generally speaking, Quantel is used in English regions for daily news cutting and fcp is used for weekly programmes and some features (and occasionally some sport). Oxford have a Quantel/Jupiter set up similar to London and Salford. Cardiff also now have Jupiter, but I can't remember if they also got Quantel as a result.

Oxford did get some of the Oxford Road equipment, namely the vison mixer and production multi screen display. There might have been a matrix too, can't remember if that was part of the same project or not.
DE
deejay
Getting material between regions is now a lot easier thanks to Jupiter and part Jupiter installations (davina) which have been installed in almost every tv site. I'm pretty sure there will come a time when line bookings aren't required very often at all!
JA
japitts
I see that from tonight, the 10pm English regional bulletins are 20mins except Friday - there was a brief promo in the West (and I assume every other region) after last nights late. Oddly, it looks like an English & Welsh thing from what I can tell from the listings - Scotland & NI still only 15mins.
RO
rob Founding member
I see that from tonight, the 10pm English regional bulletins are 20mins except Friday - there was a brief promo in the West (and I assume every other region) after last nights late. Oddly, it looks like an English & Welsh thing from what I can tell from the listings - Scotland & NI still only 15mins.

Already being discussed here. Smile
JA
japitts
Apologies - I'd hunted for an existing thread but couldn't see one.
IS
Inspector Sands
Noggin, Yes you're right, it was Quantel that all the regions got doh!
LL
London Lite Founding member
The new short lunchtime bulletin on BBC London News went something along these lines.

Standard top story - pre rec package.
Headlines, with one story with an edited cut of an interview.
Weather with Kate Kinsella.

Slightly better than the Saturday bulletin, but is stripped bare in comparison to a normal weekday bulletin.
NE
newswatcher101
I was surprised to see today that BBC Midlands that they dont have newer style graphics.

I can wait for the day they are all updated!
MI
m_in_m
BBC Look East seem to have a local version of the Weather for the Ahead graphic.
It also seems that they can't produce a consistent end cap for the promo for both the East and West opts.
HB
HarryB
I was surprised to see today that BBC Midlands that they dont have newer style graphics.

I can wait for the day they are all updated!

Newer style? What ones, the have the 2013 ones.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Nice example of how not to do graphics from BBC Leeds - despite this having been done in post with every bit of software available.

Newer posts