The Gallery

BBC TV Rebrand Project

A continuation on my 2013 project... don't worry I've matured (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MP
Michael Power
Hey guys!
Before we get started with this mock, i would like to make an apology of my behaviour in Thread #1. I was immature and was taking everything as hate. I do apologise for not listening for criticism.
Link to thread #1 of this mock (started in 2013!) http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thegallery/bbc-television-rebrand-project-2013-39581/
Also I will not be rebranding BBC Three due to it being turned online-only.
Logos
I wanted to refresh the boxes. I decided to marry them with the "Numerals with Style" branding I made early 2014. I went back to gradients but they won't be as bad as V1. They will be minimal. Without further ado, here they are!
BBC News rebrand will come later, here is how it would look side to side.
Menu
The menus will look the same in the style, but will differ in the different channels.
Now as you can see, some of the text is gray, This is because when the CA speaks what is coming up what programme they are speaking the text will be white and the numeral will have a picture of said programme.
Promo Endboards
Once again as the menus, will be same as style, but differs in different channels.
Now, the picture in the programme will be in the numeral and as you can see, the iPlayer logo is in the same style as the BBC channels.
ECP
Last edited by Michael Power on 30 January 2015 8:16am - 3 times in total
AG
AxG
You're trying to make it nice and consistent yes? So why is not very consistent?
MP
Michael Power
The fonts are consistent and the boxes (except BBC News for now) are the same style concept. I want the style to be consistent.
AG
AxG
But the template is not, with BBC Four drifting leftwards.

That '1' and '4' also don't work as well as the '2'
MP
Michael Power
How about this for the "1" and "4"?
JA
Jake
Really poor execution, I can't help but think there's some workable ideas hidden in there though.
MI
Michael
> BBC not flush to O of One

> Either stack or strip. Not both.

> FOUR and NEWS not proportional to ONE and TWO vis a vis BBC logo - to be consistent your BBC logo should be x% of x-height and/or x-height of ONE and FOUR should be same.

> Either numerals or boxes, not both. If numeral 2 is in box, what's on rest of ident?

> iPlayer logo is boring.

> Straight "windows on the world" for endboards vs tilted numbers in boxes is inconsistent.

> Boring 1 and 4 in 2nd set, mind you I'm not sure what an Olde English 4 says about a channel that shows vintage rock gigs.

> BBC Three? Will still exist as an online channel....
FI
FrancisIdents
They're far superior to your earlier revisions. The gradients are decent and there isn't nearly as much distortion as before.
But is it an improvement? I'm sorry, but no.

The endboards don't work as they are. None of the logos are aligned properly, which makes the whole thing look sloppy.

The latest "1" numeral (Futura I'm presuming) would work much better in a bolder weight, à la BBC2.

The sans-serif "4" works better than the Olde English version (where did you get the impression BBC4 was old fashioned / historical?).
But since BBC3 is going online-only, a change of name is really on the cards for that channel anyway. Can't have 1, 2 and 4 can you?

Use the proper BBC logo! I did notice you're using the same recreations as last time, which still look cheap.

It's a major improvement, but it still needs a fair bit of work. 2 stars.

Ahem...

http://s28.postimg.cc/nvvxyhbyl/ohdear.png
DT
DTV
Why do people feel the need to recreate the BBC logo? It's not like it isn't widely available. And if you are going to recreate it use the right weight of Gill Sans.
ET
ETP1 Forever

Ahem...

http://s28.postimg.cc/nvvxyhbyl/ohdear.png

If there's anything that should dissapear in a future BBCTV refresh, its that damn box motif.
MD
mdtauk
DTV posted:
Why do people feel the need to recreate the BBC logo? It's not like it isn't widely available. And if you are going to recreate it use the right weight of Gill Sans.

The B's and the C are not an actual weight of Gill Sans. They are custom drawn between Medium and Bold - so just use an official logo if you can...
MP
Michael Power
DTV posted:

The B's and the C are not an actual weight of Gill Sans. They are custom drawn between Medium and Bold - so just use an official logo if you can...

I used the official logo believe it or not! I think either the magic wand tool or me resizing it might have made it look fake. Or google lead me to a fake one ._.

The sans-serif "4" works better than the Olde English version (where did you get the impression BBC4 was old fashioned / historical?).
But since BBC3 is going online-only, a change of name is really on the cards for that channel anyway. [url=http://savebbc3.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BiCXJ06CQAAbL3T.jpg]Can't have 1, 2 and 4 can you?

With the Olde 4, I got the impression that it was a design classic. BBC Four is an art channel isn't it? I'm going to think of some new names for BBC Four like BBC Arts.

Thanks everyone for the criticism!

Newer posts