TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Outsourcing, since BBC Broadcast got sold off (in 2005?)
VM
VMPhil
why is network run by Red Bee and not in house?

The BBC decided to outsource its broadcast division in 2002, and so it became a separate company called BBC Broadcast. This was sold off in 2005 and became Red Bee Media, but continues to run the contract for the BBC's channels.
:-(
A former member
So Red beeb could lose the contract at some point?
NC
NC5
What happens on Network is very complicated. The Playout Directors *do* have a say, alongside Red Bee Creative - but also, crucially, BBC Marketing. What goes out on air in terms of pres is certainly not entirely the decision of the Directors sitting in the chair.

Northern Ireland have a lot more freedom to do what they like.

When people talk about "network", it is worth remembering that it's not quite as simple as "one bunch of Directors in NI do one thing, and another bunch sitting in London do another thing". It's not quite the same situation. FWIW, I know an awful lot of people in Network who try and make what goes out on air look as good as possible under complicated circumstances.
NG
noggin Founding member

The BBC decided to outsource its broadcast division in 2002, and so it became a separate company called BBC Broadcast. This was sold off in 2005 and became Red Bee Media, but continues to run the contract for the BBC's channels.

Think that is a slightly odd way of describing the out sourcing point.

In 2002 the BBC span out it's in house presentation operation into a subsidiary called BBC Broadcast, in a similar manner to BBC Studios and Post Production (aka BBC Resources). At this point I don't think you would have described it as "out sourced" as it was still an in house operation, albeit running as a separate business unit. I think the outsourcing happened when BBC Broadcast was sold off. (BBC Studios still exist and even though they are a separate business unit within the BBC they have yet to be sold and are still considered 'in house')

You could say the same with BBC Technology and Siemens (now Atos)
IS
Inspector Sands

Red Bee. Yes, although I'm not sure when it's up for renewal.

I'm not sure how much would change if they did. In terms of on-air nothing would change, its all changes for the staff who'd almost certainly end up bekng transferred over to whoever took over
IN
Interceptor

I'm not sure how much would change if they did. In terms of on-air nothing would change, its all changes for the staff who'd almost certainly end up bekng transferred over to whoever took over

Indeed, surely everyone associated with the BBC contract(s) would be subject to TUPE?
WH
Whataday Founding member

Indeed, surely everyone associated with the BBC contract(s) would be subject to TUPE?

Does TUPE still apply when a company loses a contract? Red Bee would still continue surely?
WH
Whataday Founding member

It seems the contract for promo production and other creative work was for 10 years and will expire at the end of this year

http://www.brandrepublic.com/news/1305065/
:-(
A former member
I like the sound of this..

Quote:
The BBC plans to bring some tasks in-house and open the rest to the market.

Philip Almond, the BBC’s director of marketing and audience, said: "We want to give all directors and production companies the opportunity to work with us, and to establish a new partnership with the commercial production industry."

Meanwhile, the Advertising Producers Association has welcomed the BBC’s decision to end the exclusive deal.

Steve Davies, the chief executive of the APA, which has protested against the Red Bee Media arrangement for many years, said: "We have consistently argued that the open market is what provides advertisers with the best work. It’s really a buyers’ market and people should enjoy that."

From 2016, the corporation will produce clip-based trails in-house and allow production companies to pitch for other services.

The BBC also confirmed that it was beginning the statutory review of its ad agency roster this month, putting Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R and Karmarama on alert.
VM
VMPhil

Think that is a slightly odd way of describing the out sourcing point.

In 2002 the BBC span out it's in house presentation operation into a subsidiary called BBC Broadcast, in a similar manner to BBC Studios and Post Production (aka BBC Resources). At this point I don't think you would have described it as "out sourced" as it was still an in house operation, albeit running as a separate business unit. I think the outsourcing happened when BBC Broadcast was sold off. (BBC Studios still exist and even though they are a separate business unit within the BBC they have yet to be sold and are still considered 'in house')

You could say the same with BBC Technology and Siemens (now Atos)

Yes, that is what I was trying to say but wasn't sure of the right terminology. I was only trying to put across a basic version of what happened so people more knowledgeable in these areas, like you, could expand on it Smile

Is this a similar situation to what BBC Productions is going through? Give the in-house productions operation its own brand and then spin it off.
IN
Interceptor

Does TUPE still apply when a company loses a contract? Red Bee would still continue surely?

Yes it does. See here: http://www.acas.org.uk/TUPE

Any staff who's time is exclusively or almost exclusively spent servicing the BBC contract/s in question would be TUPE'd. If their time is spent across various contracts/corporate activities things become more complex.

Newer posts