The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Anyone see the road accident in the background during the live from St Pancras on tonight's ITV News. A motorcyclist hit a pedestrian. Hopefully all ok
PT
Put The Telly On
Anyone see the road accident that happened in the background during the live from St Pancras on tonight's ITV News ?

Yes that was pretty worrying...people rushing to his aid whilst Ria carried on reporting and handed back to Nina, nothing mentioned!
LL
Larry the Loafer
The guy with the suitcase seemed to intentionally stand in his way. Very concerning nonetheless, but I'm pretty surprised that nobody even referred to it.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member

and story on the ITV News website

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-01-18/pair-fine-after-collision-during-live-itv-news-broadcast/
Last edited by Square Eyes on 18 January 2015 7:21pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
The guy with the suitcase seemed to intentionally stand in his way. Very concerning nonetheless, but I'm pretty surprised that nobody even referred to it.

Both are said to be ok and he clearly misjudged his positioning. You can see him backing up a few seconds before the accident.

GM
GMc
Surely what Ria did was more professional. She would have had talk-back in her ear, while reporting on the Channel Tunnel story. She probably wouldn't have known what was actually happening behind her - she couldn't stop mid-report and start asking what was going on.
VM
VMPhil
Recorded from ITV+1.

BR
Brekkie
Exactly - it's easy to see how she wouldn't have realised that was going on behind her and one thing I learned from the 24 Hour Text Santa is the newscasters in the studio don't listen to a word the correspondents are saying when throwing to them live.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Watching it in a clearer quality, it looks like the motorcyclist had already lost control before he got to the man.
AN
Andrew Founding member
If I'm in the right area, I think the road here is one of those modern environments where the pavement and the road is all at the same level all paved in the same material, so if you've just walked out of the station, you might not immediately realise you are in a road.
NE
newswatcher101
I agree with the views that she probably didn't notice it happened behind her. Which is good because she was the focused on her story.
MW
Mike W
If I'm in the right area, I think the road here is one of those modern environments where the pavement and the road is all at the same level all paved in the same material, so if you've just walked out of the station, you might not immediately realise you are in a road.

It's a shared space in terms of paving, there is a tactile kerb and traffic light controlled crossing (puffin crossing) - it's meant to be a 3 way junction past the German gym but that's yet to open, last week the traffic lights weren't working. The issue is nobody travelling out of the station (King's Cross or St Pancras) uses it properly (whether they don't wait for the green man, or don't look before crossing - it is marked 'LOOK RIGHT/LEFT' on the ground). In fact some people walk across it texting, even though there is a clear red man stopping them.

The bollards are right up to that kerb (and indicate the end of the railway environment). Accidents on Pancras Road are very common! Usually it's pedestrian vs. Black Cab who fly through the red light (because the stop line is further back than you'd expect, due to the shape of the three way junction) and don't see that a crowd of people are about to step out!

Newer posts