TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DP
D.Page
Also a new sting shown, though I've never seen it before. Anyone know what it's called?

IIRC, this was Whirlwind.

Something about it here:
http://www.dailyweekee.com/keywords/index.php?title=BBC_Two_%271991%E2%80%932001%27_idents&oldid=630187381#Stings

"Whirlwind: A 2 spins around the glass objects, stops then hits a glass object to making it spin again. First aired 1996."
JO
Jonny
There's a whole directory of them on the BBC website, available to download in stunning realmedia quality.

Who else remembers BBC Cult? Smile
VMPhil and FrancisIdents gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Whirlwind sting

Exterminate ident
BR
Brekkie
Jonny posted:
There's a whole directory of them on the BBC website, available to download in stunning realmedia quality.

Who else remembers BBC Cult? Smile

Clicking through the links there to the Radio Times of the week and just wondering when did "BBCtv" become "BBC1". Did they leave it until BBC2 actually launched or was it changed pretty soon after the announcement of BBC2?
IN
Interceptor
BBCtv became BBC1 the day BBC2 launched, or rather failed to launch.
A former member
Stay Puft-style giant marshmallow 2 sting:

http://tig.gy/?m=BBC2-2015-STING-STAYPUFT.jpg

Video here
VM
VMPhil
Okay, it's actually quite impressive how many of the stings they've dug out.
LL
Larry the Loafer
It's beggar's beliefs that the comparatively smaller presentation department is making such a bigger effort. I'd like to know why the Network doesn't adopt such an approach. Does Ireland have a bigger presentation fan base?
MM
MMcG198
It's beggar's beliefs that the comparatively smaller presentation department is making such a bigger effort. I'd like to know why the Network doesn't adopt such an approach. Does Ireland have a bigger presentation fan base?

Whilst it is great to see these stings back on our screens again, it is somewhat disappointing that Network is using such a small number of them. And this is precisely what used to happen in the 1990s - the same three or four stings would be used over and over, whilst others were seldom ever aired. Last night was the first time I've seen 'Whirlwind' on air (albeit it was on BBC Two NI) - I wasn't even aware of its existence.

We have an ident in every junction. What's stopping us having a sting in every junction?

BBC NI has aired quite a few more of these stings in recent days - we tend to see more variety there when certain directors are on duty.
MI
Michael

More freedom to do what they want I guess. Probably haven't got media studies grads breathing down their necks telling them what the public want.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
NI is run by BBC people, network is run by Red Bee who do as they're told. NI presentation are, I assume, only answerable to management in Belfast so have a lot more freedom.
A former member
why is network run by Red Bee and not in house?

Newer posts