The Newsroom

BBC News Channel General Discussion

(November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KN
knack
myan posted:
knack posted:
At 4:30 there was no further updates on the missing AirAsia flight so BBC News went to Click. It was rightly interrupted due to it featuring a rather inappropriate feature on learning how to fly a drone safely.

2014 has certainly not been a good year for Malaysian airlines.

This incident is nothing to do with Malaysia Airlines. It's Air-Asia Indonesia.

James, I think Knack was just saying Malaysian airlines as in Malaysian based airlines (notice the lower case of airlines he wrote) Smile Air Asia Indonesia is a branched out company of the parent, Air Asia, which is a Malaysian started low-cost airline. In any case, it is too much of a string of unfortunate aviation disasters for the country this year.

Yes that's correct myan, though I can see why the confusion arose.
KN
knack
dvboy posted:
knack posted:
At 4:30 there was no further updates on the missing AirAsia flight so BBC News went to Click. It was rightly interrupted due to it featuring a rather inappropriate feature on learning how to fly a drone safely.

2014 has certainly not been a good year for Malaysian airlines.

Was Click literally pulled off air mid-item?What was it replaced with?

Yes, about 20 minutes in they went back to Adnan Nawaz who said they were going to continue with coverage of the missing plane.

He just recapped what was already known so I think this decision was made due to the content of the item.
DV
dvboy
Would be interesting to see that.
Just watching the episode back now (recorded Saturday 0130), I'm surprised they let it run as long as 20 minutes, given the first item featured an airline.
Next week's isn't showing at it's usual first run time - it's replaced by Witness, and is first shown at 12:30 instead. My Freeview+ hasn't picked this up and has set itself to record Witness.
Last edited by dvboy on 28 December 2014 8:54pm - 2 times in total
DT
DTV
BBC News has uploaded a Weather Blooper reel to youtube.
DA
davidhorman
Just watching The Papers on BBC News and I've noticed how silly the animations are. When it comes to highlighting a story on a front page, the animation starts out with an image of the newspaper's front page. So far so good, but this then folds open to reveal... the front page, again. It then shrinks down a bit and slides to the right, while another copy of the front page slides in from the left, and zooms into the particular story, if it doesn't take up the whole of the front page, while on the smaller version on the left the story gets a red border, just in case you couldn't follow the animation and needed to know where on the front page the story was.

Just a bit over-produced, IMO.
DE
deejay
It's got a little bit to do with the way the papers can be used - it's quite acceptable for a news organisation to nick the image of the front page of a newspaper and report on the stories they're leading on, however part of the deal to do this without paying a fee is to include the whole of the front page including the masthead (and do so on the day of publication only). In the paper review, very often the stories dealt with are also on the front page, so therefore you do get the whole of the front page, then a zoom in to the story you're dealing with.
TV
tvcl
I spotted this internal graphic with an apology for the VT playouts being delayed:

A graphics test:

A test pattern on the screen:

The teleprompter:

And staff standing in to test the shots:
Last edited by tvcl on 7 January 2015 4:26am - 3 times in total
EA
eanok
Quote:
So far so good, but this then folds open to reveal... the front page, again.

I think this is the silliest part of the animation. The rest are fine to me.
MY
myan
Just watching The Papers on BBC News and I've noticed how silly the animations are. When it comes to highlighting a story on a front page, the animation starts out with an image of the newspaper's front page. So far so good, but this then folds open to reveal... the front page, again. It then shrinks down a bit and slides to the right, while another copy of the front page slides in from the left, and zooms into the particular story, if it doesn't take up the whole of the front page, while on the smaller version on the left the story gets a red border, just in case you couldn't follow the animation and needed to know where on the front page the story was.

Just a bit over-produced, IMO.

Sometimes we get some BBC related stories next to the article their review is focusing on, like once Mishal Husain's image was a large one (during her promotion to radio) next to the article they talk about. Uninformed users could be more curious about that than the article in focus, given there's no mention about the former.
GE
Gareth E
At 12.00, the News Channel has joined World News for a News Special on the Paris attacks. Lucy Hockings presenting.
DV
dvboy
Continues at 1300 with the 1 on BBC1 only
SP
Steve in Pudsey
tvcl posted:

A test pattern on the screen:

That's a feed from a satellite truck - this one, in fact

Newer posts