TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain - the launch

(April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MP
Michael Power
Just noticed that on Wikipedia, a few months ago it said 'ITV are committed to keeping Good Morning Britain, and is set to remain on the air until at least 2018'

But now I have had a look and it says 'and is set to remain on air until at least summer 2015'

(Just thought I would let you know)

Either it is a person in wikipedia causing havoc or it is true.

If ITV cancel GMB, that would be a mistake. But if they do, GMTV will be back Razz (just a joke lol)
AJ
AJ
It's Wikipedia, so without citation, I wouldn't trust it.

To be honest, it's difficult to see what they would replace GMB with. And is there any point in spending more money on a massive rebrand only to tweak the format a few months down the line?
IS
Isonstine Founding member
The programme has proved itself too news-lite. The problem - it doesn't have the necessary resources to really cover the news in the way Breakfast can. If ITV is serious about providing a high quality breakfast offering then they need to bite the bullet, spend the cash and engage ITN to give them both the required resources and also consistency with the rest of ITV News' output.
NG
noggin Founding member
The programme has proved itself too news-lite. The problem - it doesn't have the necessary resources to really cover the news in the way Breakfast can. If ITV is serious about providing a high quality breakfast offering then they need to bite the bullet, spend the cash and engage ITN to give them both the required resources and also consistency with the rest of ITV News' output.

The question is will they make more money by going down that route or less? That's the key issue isn't it?

I think that you are right though. If ITV want a credible news programme in that slot they should get ITN to make it. Daybreak 1 and 2 and GMB are effectively all being produced by various re-sprays of the pretty small GMTV production and newsroom operation I believe, with some resources support from ITN but not production support.

Sure the senior teams have changed with each iteration but my understanding is that the core day-to-day teams include a lot of people from the GMTV days. Understandably, they are staff and there was no reason or justification to sack them. I suspect that may be why things keep gravitating back to GMTV-style output though. It may be like trying to change the culture may be like trying to escape from a black hole...

Blank sheet must be very tempting, but could be too expensive. If GMB is delivering enough to not lose money then that may be seen to be enough? ITV Breakfast and Daytime (at least until the teatime quizzes) in general do seem to be a bit of a failure at the moment though.

When Jeremy Kyle is your success story, things are not great...
BR
Brekkie
It's easy to criticise ITV daytime but it's probably in the strongest position it's been in for some time with numerous returning formats and a fairly complete schedule. In the last few years they've gone from being lucky to have one half way successful show in the afternoon to having new and relatively popular shows every hour of the afternoon most weeks of the year.
CI
cityprod
It's easy to criticise ITV daytime but it's probably in the strongest position it's been in for some time with numerous returning formats and a fairly complete schedule. In the last few years they've gone from being lucky to have one half way successful show in the afternoon to having new and relatively popular shows every hour of the afternoon most weeks of the year.

It is very easy to ciriticise ITV Daytime, because despite the success of Jeremy Kyle, This Morning & The Chase, none of the other shows are particularly strong. Tipping Point & Dickinson's Real Deal are reasonable but nothing special, Secret Dealers is acceptable viewing, but everything else feels weak right now, especially 60 Minute Makeover. Adding Peter Andre to that show, makes it feel like an attempt to revitalise a flagging show. And to be honest, even the three shows I've mentioned, they are merely the best of a weak bunch.

I don't think you can say that ITV Daytime is particularly successful, but perhaps it has remained stable enough and steady enough to justify the shows being brought back.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Judge Rinder should stabalise the early afternoons for ITV when it returns on Monday.
CI
cityprod
Judge Rinder should stabalise the early afternoons for ITV when it returns on Monday.

There's no guarantee of that happening. Wasn't the first series a very short run? Only like 15 or 20 episodes, 3 or 4 weeks? It seemed to be over almost before it started. I did wonder if it got the figures it got on the novelty factor, this was brand new for UK television, even though Judge Judy has been on a number of different channels, and people were willing to give it some time to find it's footing. The ratings for it this time round will be most interesting.
RO
rob Founding member
Regional news bulletins move to .05 past the hour from today.
DK
DanielK
rob posted:

So .05 past and .55 or, most likely, .05 and .30? if it is the former, back to Daybreak, nearly. If the latter, merge the two for a 5+ minute round up of news plus a package or two from the previous night.
RO
rob Founding member
rob posted:

So .05 past and .55 or, most likely, .05 and .30? if it is the former, back to Daybreak, nearly. If the latter, merge the two for a 5+ minute round up of news plus a package or two from the previous night.

No, just .05

DK
DanielK
rob posted:
rob posted:

No, just .05

Very interesting. Scrapped the BOTH opt because they keep over running, money or for a new segment...fingers crossed it is a new segment.

Newer posts