The Newsroom

Two sperate BBC news bulletins on BBC one: 31st Dec

(December 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
In fact they could presumably have contrived to use the usual clean feed circuit rather than booking a circuit specifically? That might have needed the other nations to go into the net1 feed once the network programme was on air.

Think each nation has their own clean-feed - but I suspect they would have booked a circuit to get talkback.

I think the three BBC nations have totally assignable (by them) feeds from Red Bee's playout router and server ports in W12 ?

That's my understanding - and I assume they are HD now. The three nations, AIUI, each have ports on the Red Bee router used in Playout 1 - so if a source is on the router for BBC One, BBC Two etc. in London it is also available to be routed down the clean feeds to the nations, under remote control from the nations' playout areas.

I think BBC One and BBC Two in each nation share the clean feed though - I don't think they have one for each channel.
DE
denton
There is one clean feed which carries BBC One network programmes only (cues up 5 seconds before the on air time, and holds for 3 seconds after the programme comes off air) It parks on rotating BBC blocks in between. The Nations use this for joining, leaving, and timeshifting network BBC One programmes.

Each Nation also has SD and separate HD clean feeds from the Red Bee router. Both (or rather all 6) are manually switchable.

In practice the SD clean feed is usually left switched to a BBC Two network programmes only source (equivalent to the BBC One source mentioned above) for joining, leaving, timeshifting.

The HD clean feed is used for TXing the BBC NEWS Channel when network is showing something else, recording as live trails like Match of the Day, etc.
IS
Inspector Sands
In yesterday's case though the bulletin was sent up to Scotland separately on a regular contribution line
DE
denton
Why? CF3 HD would be sitting there doing nothing else surely... It has all sorts of versions of the BBC News Channel available (with and without ticker GFX, with and without vbi subtitles, etc).
NG
noggin Founding member
Why? CF3 HD would be sitting there doing nothing else surely... It has all sorts of versions of the BBC News Channel available (with and without ticker GFX, with and without vbi subtitles, etc).

Do the clean feeds come with associated 2 or 4-wires so that Glasgow can talk to London to give them an on-air time and count them on?
Last edited by noggin on 3 January 2015 1:28am
DE
denton
No, however reverse talkback can of course be arranged separately if really required.

Though talkback is of limited use when, as both announcer and director, you are talking live to the viewers rather than counting studios on air.

As Scotland had their own copies of Indiana Jones and Mapp & Lucia and the previous live programme ended just after half 6, an exact on air time could've been given to the News Channel by phone almost 3 hours in advance and confirmed closer to time.

A talkback circuit would've still been a nice to have though, so if that was the reason for the dedicated circuit I can see why they might do it that way.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Why? CF3 HD would be sitting there doing nothing else surely

I'm surprised that they called the circuit that - doesn't CF usually mean Cardiff in BBC parlance, particularly where line bookings are concerned?
DE
denton
It doesn't have to be booked, it's a permanent circuit.
IS
Inspector Sands
No, however reverse talkback can of course be arranged separately if really required.

Though talkback is of limited use when, as both announcer and director, you are talking live to the viewers rather than counting studios on air.

Of course it could have been that one of the regular lines from Red Bee was used as well to provide a main and reserve path. Normally for news they'd have the clean and dirty from Red Bee (two paths of each I think)... and Red Bee will have a main and reserve into them from News

Incidentally there was two way talkback. Of course the director in Glasgow didn't need to count in the news as it was just joining the News Channel but presumably it's necessary to arrange the ending and in case of any changes, for example if there was a breakdown on the news channel just beforehand
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 3 January 2015 8:48pm
DE
deejay
Why? CF3 HD would be sitting there doing nothing else surely

I'm surprised that they called the circuit that - doesn't CF usually mean Cardiff in BBC parlance, particularly where line bookings are concerned?

Yes, and that can lead to confusion. However Cardiff is written CF and Clean Feed should be written C/F (or at least that's how it appears on the BBC circuits booking system anyway).
HA
harshy Founding member
There is one clean feed which carries BBC One network programmes only (cues up 5 seconds before the on air time, and holds for 3 seconds after the programme comes off air) It parks on rotating BBC blocks in between. The Nations use this for joining, leaving, and timeshifting network BBC One programmes.

Each Nation also has SD and separate HD clean feeds from the Red Bee router. Both (or rather all 6) are manually switchable.

In practice the SD clean feed is usually left switched to a BBC Two network programmes only source (equivalent to the BBC One source mentioned above) for joining, leaving, timeshifting.

The HD clean feed is used for TXing the BBC NEWS Channel when network is showing something else, recording as live trails like Match of the Day, etc.

Sounds like the itv clean feed which consisted of programmes, trails and a 40 sec vt clock, it was useful to watch what daybreak did when the regions were showing regional news.

Newer posts