TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FI
FrancisIdents
Wasn't there 36 idents altogether on the original run of these idents?

If so then NI are setting the bar impossibly high Shocked
Last edited by FrancisIdents on 4 February 2015 4:51pm
DP
D.Page
NI showed Kebab (version 3, I think), with black logo, before Galaxy Quest.
BR
Brekkie
BBC NI showing how it's done again - really isn't that difficult either. As great as these idents were though and as superior as they are to the "window" ones it's kind of a shame BBC2 has found itself in this situation. Then again though if BBC1 want to bring back the balloon that's fine by me.
:-(
A former member
These Idents are not in HD, hence its believe to be the main reason why the network are not using the other 30 odd.
GM
nodnirG kraM
But what of those shot on film?
A former member
But what of those shot on film?

Which ones were shot on film? remember I said "hence its believe" There going out on a HD channel. Also been said the network wanted 2 doing something or colourful which the early sets were not. Why Ariel was not used is anyone gusses? was that shot on film?
MM
MMcG198
None of the 90s BBC Two idents (nor those added in the early 2000s) were created in HD. The fact that Network is not using certain idents is possibly more to do with the fact that they don't have clean, broadcast quality copies of those idents in their archive.
VM
VMPhil
None of the 90s BBC Two idents (nor those added in the early 2000s) were created in HD. The fact that Network is not using certain idents is possibly more to do with the fact that they don't have clean, broadcast quality copies of those idents in their archive.

If the original film still exists, it's possible that it could be rescanned into high definition, like the high definition transfers we've seen on various TV shows that were shot on film like Inspector Morse. It is doubtful that network would go to the trouble though.

NI appear to be showing idents like Balloon which were never transferred to widescreen because they were dropped with the 1997 refresh. They have presumably made their own widescreen versions by doing the same crop-and-stretch job that was done back in 1997, as NI always seem to go the extra mile when it comes to their presentation.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Seeing as these no longer seem to be in celebration of their 50th anniversary, surely this is a first for UK TV presentation? A channel opting to use old idents (seemingly) full time?
MM
MMcG198
If the original film still exists, it's possible that it could be rescanned into high definition, like the high definition transfers we've seen on various TV shows that were shot on film like Inspector Morse. It is doubtful that network would go to the trouble though.

It is true that the original footage could be enhanced - but again, this assumes that Network retained the footage. One can't enhance what one does not have.
CA
Cavan
Northern Ireland aired Diary, just before Archbishop of Canterbury New Year Message . Steam then aired before Final Score.

A former member
I don't like the centralised BBC Two looks right, personally. I'd prefer the box, but about half the size it is currently.

Newer posts