The Newsroom

BBC News Channel General Discussion

(November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
(The clean vision of the one/six/ten is usually followed by a playout of the VTs it contained, which can also be used by the appropriate rightsholders.)

Where is that played out from, as Studio E is straight back on air on the News Channel after the bulletins?
IS
Inspector Sands

Where is that played out from, as Studio E is straight back on air on the News Channel after the bulletins?

From a server port, not in the studio.
HA
harshy Founding member

From a server port, not in the studio.

Does it go out on European beam by any chance?
IS
Inspector Sands
News studio cameras have been left on, ever since the Kennedy assassination in 1963,

No technical issues today, cameras come up in a couple of seconds, but old habits die hard (and get passed down) Smile

I don't think it's an old habit in this case, it's because the cameras are in use consantly!

The news studios in place I've worked at have always switched off the cameras at the end of the day. The first job of the day was to turn them back on and line them up. No need to keep them on if there's no-one in the building.

I seem to recall at one of them there was an official working procedure of pushing down the peds and locking them down but no-one could ever be bothered.
:-(
A former member
News studio cameras have been left on, ever since the Kennedy assassination in 1963,

No technical issues today, cameras come up in a couple of seconds, but old habits die hard (and get passed down) Smile

I don't think it's an old habit in this case, it's because the cameras are in use consantly!

The news studios in place I've worked at have always switched off the cameras at the end of the day. The first job of the day was to turn them back on and line them up. No need to keep them on if there's no-one in the building.

I seem to recall at one of them there was an official working procedure of pushing down the peds and locking them down but no-one could ever be bothered.

BBC News probably switches its cameras off and the end of the day too because they aren't in use from 00:30 until 08:30
DO
dosxuk

BBC News probably switches its cameras off and the end of the day too because they aren't in use from 00:30 until 08:30

Looks like you're wrong.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/belowred/9171042724/sizes/k/
EL
elmarko
God damn that is sexy.

In a... technical way... Of course.
fanoftv and BBCWalesToday gave kudos
TV
tvcl
Interesting to hear that the Ten goes out in clean on satellite. I knew that it was sent out to BT Tower, but didn't realise someone uplinked it too.
(The clean vision of the one/six/ten is usually followed by a playout of the VTs it contained, which can also be used by the appropriate rightsholders.)

That would explain why this test card appears before the feed:

With the VT playouts, the left channel has the reporter's commentary and the right channel has just the background audio. I assume this is for stations who want their own reporter/anchor to do the talking.
DE
deejay
It's been standard practice at BBC News for a very long time that 'Sync' and V/O go on one track and 'Effects' go on the other. Apart from coming from the very early VT editing days where you used the two audio tracks on tape and mixed it to air in mono, it also means you can go back to an archive package and get clean effects from general shots and use them again in a new report. As you say, it also allows other broadcasters to use the pictures with clean effects and add their own V/O should they wish to repackage it.

Incoming camera feeds are also often split track, using the same convention. Exceptions are from a camera feed where there's a guest being interviewed where often the reporter's and guest's mics are on separate tracks (as they're often cabled into the camera these days rather than via a separate sound crew).
HB
HarryB
The trees are now up in the newsroom.
HA
harshy Founding member
tvcl posted:
Interesting to hear that the Ten goes out in clean on satellite. I knew that it was sent out to BT Tower, but didn't realise someone uplinked it too.

That would explain why this test card appears before the feed:

With the VT playouts, the left channel has the reporter's commentary and the right channel has just the background audio. I assume this is for stations who want their own reporter/anchor to do the talking.

Shame its not here in Europe, I would have given it a go trying to find it, I would have thought it would have existed similar to the NBC DAD feeds at 15w.
HB
HarryB
Reporting Scotland being shown from 1830 on the BBC News Channel this evening with the developments from the Glasgow Lorry Crash

Newer posts