TV Home Forum

The X Factor 2014:

The pink X, and the ratings dip again, (February 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Steve was dumped pretty fast. If your male and win you end up in the bin. Only the woman seems to have had any luck.
BR
Brekkie
They've pushed the "normal guy" angle so much with Ben it's difficult to imagine him being successful. He is nowhere near as good as Shane Ward, Matt Cardle or James Arthur were on the show and we all know what happened there.

Fleur is in the best position - history shows the runner up with probably have a couple of singles and an album under their belt by the autumn while the winner will be locked away for a year until next years X Factor live shows begin.

Sam Bailey was the exception to that - week after week on the show they said she shouldn't rush out an album of covers, but the only thing released so far was an album of covers for Mothers Day, re-released for Christmas with a few extra songs.

As for the show itself - reports that changes will be made but whether they'll be the right changes remains to be seen as the things that have needed changing for years (the live shows, Louis) have remained unchanged year in, year out.

If I were Cowell I wouldn't touch the early stages of the show - I think Rooms > Arena > Six Chair Challenge > Judges Houses works well. Louis is the only judge I'd replace - but they need a big name and a big personality. Robbie Williams would be the obvious choice IMO - a big name but probably able to spare six months a year. Mel B will be back I'm sure and I suspect Cheryl will be too - but if she goes would rather they bought back Nicole than Tulisa.

The live shows is where the serious changes are needed. It's probably ultimately unimportant but a change to the set would reinforce it's a new era for the show, along with updating the titles. Beyond that at the most basic they either need to drop the themes or have more relevant themes. I don't think they're necessary personally and I think they could just do what Strictly does and throw a theme in occassionally to freshen things up.

They need to be far more adventurous in song choices (Uptown Funk should teach them that), allow contestants to be individual rather than moulded into Louis's idea of a perfect popstar and ultimately just up their game. Ultimately though they need to get the talent through the doors - this years crop was definately better than last year but the depth wasn't really there beyond the front runners. They just need to forget though about looking for TV stars and remember the purpose of the show - to find somebody with the "X Factor".
VM
VMPhil
Uptown Funk showed that The X Factor still holds a massive amount of influence on pop culture (forcing a record company to rush release a single that becomes number 1 - pretty impressive for a TV show) as well as reinforcing the idea that the runner-up will be bigger than the winner. As you say Brekkie, if the obvious flaws with the show were fixed it could be back on top. Let's hope they learn that for next year.
A former member
Uptown Funk, was a song choice right out of left field and it was one of the best. Theme weeks need to go or overhauled, but I doubt it will happen. If the theme get change there should be Low key song week just like Uptown Funk.
ST
Stedixon
I personally didn't see the point of the 6 chair challenge. It was tedious to say the least. Swap in / swap out? What's the point? It adds nothing at all. All it does is wastes time. Just pick and get on with it.
DE
declan
In terms of next year I do think either ditching or being less important with theme weeks would be beneficial. Uptown Funk has got to be the success story of the X Factor and I viewed it as a bit of an alarm, as someone mentioned, it highlights the power the show still has.

As for the judging panel, I would keep both the males. I know Louis is annoying to some, I personally find him entertaining, I feel both add depth to the show and don't think the show would be the same without them. Louis is part of the furniture and I do not think he should leave. Simon's return made the show all that bit more enjoyable for me, I think he should try to focus on the UK show and forget and direct future plans of relaunching the US one. As for the females, I liked Mel but felt she was a bit aggresive at times and it wasn't pleasant to watch however I wouldn't object to her coming back. On Cheryl's behalf I kind of hope they drop her, she gives off the impression that she is some international super star and no longer is that caring, nation's sweetheart that she was back in 2008.

I think they could leave the arena auditions as I find 2 sets tiresome and much prefer the room, I never really was a fan of the BGT style ones and thought the room auditions were better for X Factor. I think the 6 chair challenge can be good but it was so boring this year with all the "you're in, no wait, this person is better you now leave etc" on the US one it was quite tension driven and more entertaining.

I think the presentation in the form of titles, on screen graphics and set need improving. I think most would agree new opening credits are due and, as I said back in August, I would like a new set for the live shows much like the US season 3 one which I find better.

Only time will tell with the X Factor but what I will say is for the first time I got quite tired. Usually I am quick to defend it when people go "I'm not watching because of X, Y and Z" but this year I found it more of a chore to watch than enjoyment. I didn't really have anyone that I rooted for all the way - I think this was the same for most people I spoke to - unless it is somehow improved next year I can't see the public sticking around much longer.
BR
Brekkie
Uptown Funk, was a song choice right out of left field and it was one of the best. Theme weeks need to go or overhauled, but I doubt it will happen. If the theme get change there should be Low key song week just like Uptown Funk.

Uptown Funk isn't in that low a key Wink

Something like "Album Tracks" would tick that box though. Also a return of the guest led themes would be good - though this year they didn't really have any big enough guests to justify that.

I personally didn't see the point of the 6 chair challenge. It was tedious to say the least. Swap in / swap out? What's the point? It adds nothing at all. All it does is wastes time. Just pick and get on with it.

I do think it's brilliant but agree they made a mockery this year by bringing people back all the time. The rules have to be strict - once you lose a chair you're out. No ifs. No buts.

I do think too if they have 16 again they should do as they did this year with the judges deciding three, but then let the viewers pick from the eliminated acts at judges houses the 4th person in each category.

In terms of next year I do think either ditching or being less important with theme weeks would be beneficial. Uptown Funk has got to be the success story of the X Factor and I viewed it as a bit of an alarm, as someone mentioned, it highlights the power the show still has.

As for the judging panel, I would keep both the males. I know Louis is annoying to some, I personally find him entertaining, I feel both add depth to the show and don't think the show would be the same without them. Louis is part of the furniture and I do not think he should leave.

The point is though the show "not being the same" wouldn't be a bad thing. Louis is only there as a foil and it's bringing the show down. They've tried pretty much everything over the years other than changing Louis and I think after years of swapping in and out the female judges that changing a male judge would be the one thing that might actually spark a bit of interest.
DE
declan

As for the judging panel, I would keep both the males. I know Louis is annoying to some, I personally find him entertaining, I feel both add depth to the show and don't think the show would be the same without them. Louis is part of the furniture and I do not think he should leave.

The point is though the show "not being the same" wouldn't be a bad thing. Louis is only there as a foil and it's bringing the show down. They've tried pretty much everything over the years other than changing Louis and I think after years of swapping in and out the female judges that changing a male judge would be the one thing that might actually spark a bit of interest.[/quote]

Except from that 1 year that they did replace Louis and Simon decided after only a few auditions to bring him back because it just didn't feel the same - and to be honest I do not think X Factor would be.

I genuinely think Louis deserves to be there, especially thanks to his loyalty to the show despite when others leave, plus he always defends the show too when it gets criticised by shows such as the Voice UK. I get people aren't given jobs on loyalty but I don't think it would be the same without him.
A former member
It's all well and good saying that Louis is one of the reasons ratings have gone down. Louis was there when the ratings were 12m+ so it can't be him that's the problem. I'm in the 'it wouldn't be the same without him' camp.

It's a shame that Fleur didn't win to be honest. I think it needs a credible winner rather than a bland one like we got in order to get over the stigma of it being better not winning for people's careers. However, I think the blatant manipulation to try and get her to win has put a hell of a lot of people off. There is so much going on, both obviously and subtly, and people are really wising up to it. People have always said "it's all fixed anyway" but people can now qualify this with actual examples of things they do (having the duet partner introduce Fleur rather than vice-versa, making out she is the 'star', is one very unsubtle thing they did for example). You have a choice between the manipulation of X Factor, or the fun of Strictly - it's not hard to see why the latter has overtaken the former in the ratings.

But I still love X Factor.
DE
declan
It's all well and good saying that Louis is one of the reasons ratings have gone down. Louis was there when the ratings were 12m+ so it can't be him that's the problem. I'm in the 'it wouldn't be the same without him' camp.

It's a shame that Fleur didn't win to be honest. I think it needs a credible winner rather than a bland one like we got in order to get over the stigma of it being better not winning for people's careers. However, I think the blatant manipulation to try and get her to win has put a hell of a lot of people off. There is so much going on, both obviously and subtly, and people are really wising up to it. People have always said "it's all fixed anyway" but people can now qualify this with actual examples of things they do (having the duet partner introduce Fleur rather than vice-versa, making out she is the 'star', is one very unsubtle thing they did for example). You have a choice between the manipulation of X Factor, or the fun of Strictly - it's not hard to see why the latter has overtaken the former in the ratings.

But I still love X Factor.

I really agree with you. For the first time this year I was watching Strictly and not X Factor or would watch Strictly with my full attention but have X Factor basically on in the background.

With what I have said I still, like you, do find the X Factor still very enjoyable but I can see it is definitely slipping. It needs something and we can all make predictions on how to make it great again but I just don't know if any of us are actually right it just needs something but I don't think anyone can say for sure what it is.
TR
trainsonrails
Thought I'd post this....

The X Factor New Zealand is back for 2015. The X Factor NZ happens every 2 years instead of every year which is a good choice to me.

Anyway, instead of the classic 'Red X" the New Zealand version is black and white. Here is the promo video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCXT4_zMs9Y

And here is the Facebook Page with the new style X:

https://www.facebook.com/XFactorNZ
BR
Brekkie
It's almost always styled a different way in promos, but almost always the red version for the main graphics on the show itself.
Last edited by Brekkie on 21 December 2014 2:19pm

Newer posts