Mass Media & Technology

NOW TV

Now just er...NOW. (October 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
NOW TV to be free for Vodafone Red customers.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/408651/Vodafone-Sky-Now-TV-deal-Free
KM
KieraMcLean
SkyHD and Freesat installation are majorly acceptable by the people in UK. This is my experience.
AJ
AJ
SkyHD and Freesat installation are majorly acceptable by the people in UK. This is my experience.

Eh?
LL

NOW TV isn't designed for existing Sky customers who have Sky Go. It's an add on for those with Freesat and Freeview users who wan't a no fuss way of adding some extra channels.
NG
noggin Founding member
Everyone seems to be missing the main reason many people are buying Now TV boxes. It's the cheapest way of adding the main free catch-up services (iPlayer, ITV Player etc.) to a non-Smart TV. You buy the box, register, get whatever free deal they want to entice you with, and then cancel your subscription. You then have a neat, simple, very cheap iPlayer box. I've bought a couple for family members and they are a very simple solution to the 'I wish I could watch iPlayer on my TV not my laptop' (and much neater than plugging a laptop into a TV)
DV
DVB Cornwall
Some talk around that the NOWTV box is to get a refresh early in 2015, offering 1080p/i video and that the streaming rates will be increased to accommodate this new facility. NOW TV live on Apple TV is already running at 720p and looks likely to rise to match the new Roku chassis based box.

Also a monthly sports offering to match the Entertainment and Movies should be available once contracts are clear, I've heard a £29.99 - £34.99 price point mentioned.
LL
I hope in addition to the revamp that the NOW TV box resolves the stuttering playback issue. It's great if they offer 1080p/i playback but not if it stutters. The box is currently gathering dust as the PQ is awful, so only use iPlayer or Demand 5 on my smart tv.

The LG app continues to work fine.
CW
cwathen Founding member
I hope in addition to the revamp that the NOW TV box resolves the stuttering playback issue. It's great if they offer 1080p/i playback but not if it stutters. The box is currently gathering dust as the PQ is awful, so only use iPlayer or Demand 5 on my smart tv.

Are you sure you don't have a dodgy box? Mine never stutters and picture quality is no worse than standard def Sky or Virgin. As I've said before, I even have praise for the composite output which I have to use on one of my boxes for a CRT TV...it's fine.
LL

Are you sure you don't have a dodgy box? Mine never stutters and picture quality is no worse than standard def Sky or Virgin. As I've said before, I even have praise for the composite output which I have to use on one of my boxes for a CRT TV...it's fine.

It did spring to mind that it may be a dodgy box as I have no issues using Now TV with my cheap Android phone, my PC which stream in SD and the LG TV. It may be worth spending another £9.99 on another box for a comparison test.
DA
davidhorman
Quote:
I hope in addition to the revamp that the NOW TV box resolves the stuttering playback issue.

From what I've read NOW TV - like Chromecast - only outputs at 60Hz. That might explain your stuttering if you're watching anything on iPlayer, which would be 25fps and doesn't go well into 60Hz. Some people just don't notice it, though.
LL
Quote:
I hope in addition to the revamp that the NOW TV box resolves the stuttering playback issue.

From what I've read NOW TV - like Chromecast - only outputs at 60Hz. That might explain your stuttering if you're watching anything on iPlayer, which would be 25fps and doesn't go well into 60Hz. Some people just don't notice it, though.

It's on everything, from the Sky News and SSN HQ apps, to the NOW TV streams. Some of the live channels are more noticeable than others. GOLD for example has really bad stuttering ,poor lip sync and a grainy picture, while Sky1 is like watching a 544x576 Freeview picture with a low stream.

The LG set I own appears to have none of these issues as it also NTSC compatible.
CR
Critique
My biggest gripe with NOW TV as a service is that the box sets of TV shows like The Newsroom and Modern Family have a channel promo in the place of the ad break, which is completely unnecessary. For example, Modern Family shows a 30 second or so promo for Sky 1, and it's the exact same promo every single time, whilst Sky Atlantic shows just show an ident between the two sides of the break - if you're paying for a service I don't think you should have to put up with either sitting through or trying to skip a 30 second advert, and the entire idea of the promo/ident just seems silly to me, especially when it's not even useful in Sky Atlantic's case (the Sky 1 one does at least show you what's on the channel!)

Newer posts