The Newsroom

London Live

announce News presenters (December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SD
SuperDave
That would be a massive improvement on NTOS, but alas I don't think it will be enough to change the viewing habits of Londoners overnight.
MA
mark Founding member
The big problem Mark is that London Live doesn't have a strong local news service. It doesn't have a very strong local anything right now, and as much as I hope things will improve dramatically with The Evening News and The Evening Show, I'm not holding my breath.

That's true - although I'd say that Wake Up London has been steadily improving.

At this stage, though, I'm not really suggesting anything other than swapping the two programmes in their existing news & current affairs block so the news is at 7. They could replace some of the poorer performing entertainment programming with news further down the line if that worked.
SD
SuperDave
Don't get me wrong, I really want London Live to succeed, despite the arrogance of their proprietor and management.

Even if they don't move The Evening News to 7, they should definitely run a headline update at 7 as part of The Evening Show, with another at 9 and ideally another at 11. That would at least be a start.
Rijowhi, London Lite and mark gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
I wonder if Vikki Cook continues to be part of the problem? She aimed for the news content to be different from the BBC/ITV.
RI
Rijowhi
mark posted:
What's the point though in these local channels existing if they're not offering local news between 7-10pm? The news service needs to be the backbone of these channels.

I know what you're saying and of course in a perfect world you're right. The problem is these channels have got to find some way of being viable.

Are these two things really mutually exclusive? I'd have thought that a strong local news service that isn't available elsewhere on TV could help with viability just as much as repeats of old network comedies and dramas, which are available in abundance.

KCAL and KTLA in Los Angeles are both stations which build their brands around their news output rather than (respectively) their random acquisitions or weak CW networked shows.

I see your point (a strong Local News service could help bring in viewers for News and other programming). Though of course it depends on the strength of that other programming whether viewers will continue to watch...allowing the stations to gain regular advertising revenue.
SD
SuperDave
London Live will go down in history as one of the worst media launches of recent years. Despite having the resources of The Standard and Independent behind them, plus seasoned professionals in charge of strategy, marketing and content, they still managed to completely balls it up!

But this sort of thing is not uncommon - think of TV-AM, GMTV, even Channel 4 - their launches we're not without hiccups and they went on to become very successful. Of course the market is very different now, more crowded, more sophisticated and less forgiving.

London Live need to get their act together fast and decide who they're going for in terms of audience and what that audience needs to become loyal viewers.

Today could be the day they finally get something right .....
bbcfan2014, Rijowhi and London Lite gave kudos
LL
fast and decide who they're going for in terms of audience and what that audience needs to become loyal viewers.

Today could be the day they finally get something right .....

I hope so, if Place Invaders is an example of this new 'older' skewed programming, then they've got a long way to go.
DB
dbl
The annoying thing about Place Invaders is they almost got the demographics right, but then they bunged in Charlie Sloth and its a joke. Anyone with common sense should see those two don't mix.
LL
dbl posted:
The annoying thing about Place Invaders is they almost got the demographics right, but then they bunged in Charlie Sloth and its a joke. Anyone with common sense should see those two don't mix.

Sloth and the sarky narration didn't work for me.
LO
Londoner
I hope someone can post some caps etc from the new show tonight.
LL
I hope someone can post some caps etc from the new show tonight.

I'm recording The Evening News. I don't have time to do The Evening Show though.
LL
Another trailer for The Evening News/Show aired during Wake Up London this morning.

Newer posts