The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
Amazing. France also has a channel solely dedicated to weather...interesting. Guess its not just the lone WEATHER CHANNEL. Rolling Eyes
WW
WW Update
The French weather network La Chaine Meteo recently unveiled a new look:

Amazing. France also has a channel solely dedicated to weather...interesting. Guess its not just the lone WEATHER CHANNEL. Rolling Eyes

Actually, Landmark Communications, the company behind the original Weather Channel, did extend the brand to two European countries -- Germany and the UK -- in the 1990s. Ultimately, Landmark withdrew from both markets. In the UK, pay-TV was dominated by BSkyB and that gave new entrants to the market little leverage to get favorable distribution terms. (Also, the low cable penetration rate made localized forecasts impossible). In Germany, TV channels had to pay in order to be carried on cable systems (the reverse of what happens in the U.S. and most other countries), which made the German version of the Weather Channel completely dependent on advertising revenue.

Both of these factors eventually convinced Landmark that there weren't enough profits to be made in Europe. Maybe they should have tried setting up shop in France instead. (BTW, La Chaîne Météo isn't the only French-language weather channel out there. There's also MétéoMédia in Canada.)
WW
WW Update
BTW, since I know you're a fan of helicopter coverage, Mouseboy33, here's how France's I-Télé used its chopper to cover the same floods we saw in that clip of La Chaîne Météo:

Last edited by WW Update on 15 October 2014 5:44am - 2 times in total
DB
dbl
Defunct Weather Channel UK:
http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/otherchannels/weather.html

The closest thing to The Weather Channel UK is online bulletins:
MO
Mouseboy33
Yeah, I was certainly aware of the other international "weather channels". Its just interesting the original US WEATHER CHANNEL was raked over the coals for existing and that some saying it was "silly" and the people that watched it were "stupid" and its detailed forecasts were unnecessary. And a person sitting a desk delivering the alerts was all that was needed. Rolling Eyes
WW
WW Update
Yeah, I was certainly aware of the other international "weather channels". Its just interesting the original US WEATHER CHANNEL was raked over the coals for existing and that some saying it was "silly" and the people that watched it were "stupid" and its detailed forecasts were unnecessary. And a person sitting a desk delivering the alerts was all that was needed. Rolling Eyes

Some of that may have been because of the "Not Invented Here" syndrome, a well-known phenomenon in sociology. Wikipedia: "Not invented here (NIH) is the philosophy of social, corporate, or institutional cultures that avoid using or buying already existing products, research, standards, or knowledge because of their external origins and costs. The reasons for not wanting to use the work of others are varied, but can include fear through lack of understanding, an unwillingness to value the work of others, or forming part of a wider "turf war".[1] As a social phenomenon, this philosophy manifests as an unwillingness to adopt an idea or product because it originates from another culture."

Anyway, back on topic... Here are some news promos for the Spanish-language station WSCV in Miami, 2014:

Last edited by WW Update on 15 October 2014 7:14pm
DO
dosxuk

Can't remember any of that. Would you mind digging out some quotes?
WW
WW Update

Can't remember any of that. Would you mind digging out some quotes?

Can we dig up old quotes via PM, please? Let's not derail this thread any further.
MO
Mouseboy33
WSCV - Miami night time skyline view looks good on the screens. The sad/serious meteorologists group shot promo is disturbing. Confused
WW
WW Update
From 1952, not just the world's first morning show, but almost certainly the first news ticker (starting at the 2:15 mark) and the first on-screen clock:

DE
deejay
That microphone is quite a thing! Wonder why they didn't use a boom instead?
BA
bilky asko
Can we dig up old quotes via PM, please? Let's not derail this thread any further.

I think you derailed it enough by dismissing people with a syndrome, or by at least responding to Mouseboy stirring the excrement by dragging up something that I thought had been over and done with for weeks.

The fact I wasn't aware that The Weather Channel did YouTube forecasts for the UK probably points towards how relevant it is in this country.

Newer posts