The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
Two weeks ago, the French international news channel France 24 launched on TNT, the French DTT service -- but only in Ile-de-France (greater Paris region) so far. Previously, the channel had only been available to cable and satellite subscribers.

This is what the launch looked like -- an updated set was unveiled for the occasion:

http://blog.lenodal.com/uploads/actualitedelhabillage/2014/france24-studio-A-1.png
Image: lenodal.com
Last edited by WW Update on 9 October 2014 12:56am
WW
WW Update
And here's a 2012 promo for BFM TV, France's most-watched news channel:

(France has quite a few news channels: BFM TV, I-Tele, LCI, France 24, as well as local news channels such as Grand Lille TV).
MO
Mouseboy33
BFMTV kills me. Its very North American and very un-French-like in its tone and graphics and music. And its #1 in France. Interesting.
NG
noggin Founding member
Wouldn't judge the channel from the trail.

Watching some recent clips :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXHMyXMUGk Looks very French to me... Bizarre that they are in the same studio, have a wide shot but use boxes for lots of the questions... Very French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEKRbAx0de0 Same here - boxes, boxes everywhere, even with multiple cameras in the same studio.

Neither strike me as particularly North American. The graphics style is kind of a toned down CNN I guess - and a bit more 'commercial' than some channels in Europe I guess. In content though it's pretty European from what I can see.

Vive la difference.
Cando and bilky asko gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
Um Ive seen the channel and I wasnt judging by a trail. IMO its very un-French.
WW
WW Update
Here's a longer clip of BFM TV's news (recorded in 2011):

Some presentation elements are distinctively French, but I would argue that American influences are equally undeniable.
Last edited by WW Update on 10 October 2014 4:52pm - 4 times in total
MO
Mouseboy33
I love they use the phrase. NON STOP NEWS! LOLz
WW
WW Update
TeleZüri, serving the city of Zurich, Switzerland, 1995 -- in places, the newscast reminds me of a slow-paced version of Toronto's CityTV:

And from 1999, the first Swiss news opt-out for the German channels RTL and ProSieben:

Note that the regional and local newscasts in Switzerland -- as well as the RTL/ProSieben opt-out -- are broadcast in Swiss German, whereas the national news uses High (Standard) German.
MO
Mouseboy33
TeleZüri, serving the city of Zurich, Switzerland, 1995 -- in places, the newscast reminds me of a slow-paced version of Toronto's CityTV:

Its amazing how much they borrow from Citytv. They even copied the SpeakersCorner concept with the video recording box and the edited companion program, they called their TELEBOX. They have 20th Anniversary story on their site and their older programs looks like CityTv production. The programs were shot in a streetside windowed studio using shoulder cams. Interesting.
WW
WW Update
Staying in Switzerland: Earlier this year, SRF, the public service broadcaster serving the German-speaking part of Switzerland, and RSI, the PSB for the Italian-speaking part of the country, decided to switch roles for a day. RSI produced a German-language newscast for SRF, and SRF produced its news in Italian for RSI. (Many Swiss are multilingual, which made this experiment possible.)

Here is a promo for the switch:

Last edited by WW Update on 11 October 2014 11:27pm - 3 times in total
WW
WW Update
Here's a clip of CityTV in Toronto, Canada -- from 1977 (The clip includes a piece about the station's news philosophy):

WW
WW Update
The French weather network La Chaîne Météo recently unveiled a new look:

Newer posts