The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GU
guest03
Phoenix - Der Tag, Germany, 2013

In contrast to other German news shows, "Der Tag" includes extended interviews with correspondents or experts and excerpts from press conferences and parliamentary debates.
Its reports are taken from news shows of ARD and ZDF, which you can recognize by the look of the lower thirds (see 1:52).

WW
WW Update
WDR, the ARD broadcaster for North Rhine -Westphalia, Germany; pan-regional news, 2013:

WDR, local opt-out for the city of Dortmund, 2013:

WW
WW Update
This has been posted here before, but since we are talking about WDR, here's what their regional news looked like 35 years ago -- in 1979:

WW
WW Update
BTW, is it just me or does WDR's Aktuelle Stunde set (seen in the first WDR clip above) bear some resemblance to the BBC's regional sets from the early 2000s?
Last edited by WW Update on 27 September 2014 8:07am
WW
WW Update
I guess it's just me then!

Here's another ARD broadcaster, SWR, with the regional news for Baden-Württemberg, 2012:

And here's Baden-Württemberg's news from 1986:

WW
WW Update
Here's the legendary news anchor Walter Cronkite guest-anchoring the national news on France's Antenne 2 network in 1981 (on location in Monte Carlo that evening):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZLX2AhRRtE
WW
WW Update
St. Pierre and Miquelon are two tiny islands in the North Atlantic, just off the coast of Canada's Newfoundland. Legally, they are as much a part of France as, say, Grenoble or Lyon. In fact, the islands -- which have a strong Basque heritage -- are the sole remnants of New France, which once comprised much of North America.

Here is the news from their local France Télévisions station, 2014:

EL
elmarko
My word, I had no idea that existed. To Wikipedia!

Presumably they can pick up over the air TV from St. John's etc?
NG
noggin Founding member
Interesting, and very French, that they use SECAM not NTSC (though it looks as if they are using SECAM K not L?) if they are still using analogue. (They use the Euro too!)

So you'd need a multi standard TV with a multi standard tuner to receive OTA from Canada - and those are actually quite rare. (Very few sets with both ATSC digital and SECAM analogue tuners I suspect...) Set top box for ATSC would be the solution.

They may not get great or any coverage from St Johns anyway - particularly as OTA is less dominant in Canada.
EL
elmarko
It's less dominant but certainly not impossible if you're near some semblance of population:

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/_files/cbcrc/documents/dtv-maps/tn-0025-tve-nflab.pdf

I can see St. John's or a relay coming in fine to St. Pierre and Miquelon. Unless the transmitters are a bit directional?

Although the CBC/SRC did close a boatload of transmitters during their digital switchover, so I imagine it's harder than in the past.
NG
noggin Founding member
Yep - the CBC didn't go for 1:1 analogue->digital conversion, or even try and cover the same populations. Quite large areas that had decent analogue terrestrial coverage have poor, or no, digital coverage.

Could well be that St Johns, being quite a rural area, has OTA coverage as cable is less dominant?
EL
elmarko
The CBC had no choices due to money issues thanks to defunding from right-wing governments...

Newer posts