TV Home Forum

The Late Late Gay Byrne Irish Television Thread

Irish TV legend passes away (October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
Any caps?
ED
edmund
Case Study from the Red Bee Media site
http://www.redbeemedia.com/work/rte2
RD
rdd Founding member
Paddy posted:

The channel looks out of place now beside RTÉ ONE, not just because of the ONE / 2 branding, but they look like two totally separate companies, no real branding carrying across apart from the RTÉ logo. Unless another change is planned for RTÉ ONE sometime soon?

Still a lot more coherent than 1988-1995 and (especially) 1997-2003, when the RTÉ logo wasn't used on Network 2 (as it was) at all. During the 1997-2003 era even RTÉ programmes on Network 2 were branded "N2 Productions", Sport was "N2 Sport" and news was "News 2". Newsfeed is nearly exactly the same as 60 Seconds in format.

The biggest problem with this new look, apart from the cringe-awful CA (which presumably is just for tonight) is the ident - way, way, way, too much going on.
JA
JAS84
Is it really any different to the various BBC channels? Two, Four and News have boxed logos, but they're all in different positions on the screen and One's and Three's only appear boxed on cross-promotions. It's definitely not a uniform brand like it was in 1997-2001.
CH
chinamug
Have been a big fan of Red Bee in the past but this seems like a huge mistake. It just doesn't work at all. There's far too much going on, it's supposed to be aiming at a youth market but it actually looks dated. Plus the 2 is too big. It should be the same size as the letters. Instead it slightly larger so it's in line with the Fada. (the line over the e) Visually it looks wrong (to me anyway)

The news show isn't too bad. It's supposed to go out at 6.55 and 7.55, but really it should go out at least once or twice more during the evening. Say 9.55 and 10.55.

RTE2 Ratings are awful at this time outside of sports, I can't see how this will make the station any more attractive to the youth audience. It feels very much what a 50 year old thinks the youth wants.
PF
PFML84
This morning the original RTÉ TWO DOG is back, the TRTÉ DOG is in the 4:3 safe zone in the left of the screen... Was this not thought about and planned before execution, or are they making it up as it goes? Rolling Eyes
RD
rdd Founding member
They fixed it later.

This UTV Ireland promo on their website is interesting, if only for the old Ulster Television logos at the end:

http://www.utv.ie
SC
Si-Co
I notice a lot of ITV daytime content is advertised on the UTV Ireland site, including Lorraine, Kyle, This Morning, Loose Women etc. I'm assuming these will be simulcasts and clean fed from London or Belfast, rather than recorded and rescheduled, so the Irish channel would resemble a UTV NI with opt-outs/variations?
CH
chinamug
Si-Co posted:
I notice a lot of ITV daytime content is advertised on the UTV Ireland site, including Lorraine, Kyle, This Morning, Loose Women etc. I'm assuming these will be simulcasts and clean fed from London or Belfast, rather than recorded and rescheduled, so the Irish channel would resemble a UTV NI with opt-outs/variations?

With some exceptions UTV Northern Ireland and UTV Ireland will have the same schedule most of the time. It will just replace ITV news at ten and the half hour UTV live with An Hour long news show instead. It's not yet clear what they will do with the 1.30 and 6.30 slots Monday to Friday. The closest equivalent would be the old HTV Wales and West, where some nights the two parts of HTV had some large differences and other nights the only difference was the local news.
RD
rdd Founding member
Their aim is to mirror ITV as much as possible, but they'll have gaps owing to not holding the same sports and movies rights as well as certain independent productions (the X Factor and Britain's Got Talent primarily). Presumably as the years pass these variations will lessen and UTV may be able to persuade ITV to start buying programmes on a UK & Ireland basis as Channel 4 and most satellite channels do.
FL
flaziola
Seeing as UTV is soaking up most of TV3's ITV associations perhaps TV3 should look at the Channel 4 type broadcasting model in order to save it's own skin. Challenging documentaries, Hour long news analysis program in Prime time, easy gameshows in the afternoon. Perhaps picking up Hollyoaks to go after RTÉ 2s Aussie soaps.
NE
newsman1
Perhaps picking up Hollyoaks to go after RTÉ 2s Aussie soaps.

TV3 showed Hollyoaks before but dropped it because most viewers in the Republic have access to Channel 4 and thus the ratings for Hollyoaks on TV3 were low.

Newer posts