The Newsroom

Scottish Referendum news thread

Under one shop (June 2014)

:-(
A former member
Is there a reason why the BBC chose to use that purple shape instead of something more symbolic of Scotland such as a flag or coat of arms? Is it a random shape or an emblem of some sort?

i wonder about that myself, although the shape and color reminds me of the BBC Scotland logo...

To make a couple of points here, Purple is the colour of heather Wink thats beside the point. The loge changes colour all the time with promos etc. You can spot some of them on tv live Wink

Also here is the logo in 1988:

The logo disappeared just after the balloons, and dancers but has come back since 2007 in its current form.
MO
Moz Wales Today
Is there a reason why the BBC chose to use that purple shape instead of something more symbolic of Scotland such as a flag or coat of arms? Is it a random shape or an emblem of some sort?

i wonder about that myself, although the shape and color reminds me of the BBC Scotland logo...

Plainly both are maps of Scotland - the more recent one is a folded ballot paper in the shape of Scotland...

#skillsforlife
GE
thegeek Founding member London London
Apparently BBC Scotland's Big Big Debate with 16 and 17 year olds wasn't enough for Radio 1:

Radio 1's Big Conversation: Scotland Decides
Quote:
Two days before the Scottish referendum, Radio 1 Newsbeat's gives listeners and a live studio audience the opportunity to have their say on what they think is best for Scotland's future.

An audience of 150 young people, aged 16-24, made up of 'yes', 'no' and 'don't know' voters come together in Glasgow for a debate, hosted by Edith Bowman and BBC Newsbeat's Chris Smith. For many, they will be voting for the first time and their vote could prove vital in affecting the outcome of the referendum.

They will have the chance to put their questions to Danny Alexander from Better Together and Humza Yousaf from the Yes campaign in what may be one of the last opportunities to win the young person's vote.

In a broadcasting first, this hour long special will be simulcast across Radio 1 and the BBC News Channel.
RS
Rob_Schneider
I notice that, according to the STV schedule for 19 September, the ITV News summary at 10:55 a.m. is still being broadcast on STV. What's the point in having an ITV News summary on STV at 10:55 a.m. when a half-hour STV News programme is being broadcast at 1:30 instead of the ITV News at 1:30, for which the 10:55 summary serves as a preview?

To be honest, I think STV might have enough on its plate come Friday morning, without having to worry about a short mid-morning news summary. With all the extra programming it is committed to already, it might just be easier to take the network summary instead.

Although who knows? I guess it's still possible arrangements could end up changing on the actual day ...

There's every chance that This Morning might get dropped by STV to be honest.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
In a broadcasting first, this hour long special will be simulcast across Radio 1 and the BBC News Channel.

I wonder how they're defining it as being a first, as such MOTD2 Extra is currently simulated on both BBC1 and Radio 5 Live. I guess in that case a TV programme is being broadcast on radio at the same times, whereas as such this is a radio show being broadcast on TV at the same time. (Even then Radio 1 has simulcast live on TV before via the red button.)
"So long and thanks for all the fish."
JC
JonathanC (previously JonathanEx) Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
We can't forget the last time Radio 1 was on the News Channel. That amazing Script performance.
NE
newsman1

I'm aware that UTV has done it in the past.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Indeed with the result expected between 6.30am and 7.30am, could ITV opt to stick with STV rather than switch to GMB?
Here's to the next 20 ye.....

Oh!
AN
Andrew Founding member Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
If the result is "yes" I'd imagine quite a lot of stuff will be dropped from the schedules during the day on Friday, at least in Scotland, if not everywhere.

The chances of BBC1 really going off air at 9:15 when ITV are on air until 10:00 is unlikely regardless of the result.

I thought it was blatantly obvious that the BBC Referendum logo was a ballot paper folded into a representation of the shape of Scotland. Obviously not obvious enough for some. Should have just had 'BBC Scotland Referendum' in block capitals instead!
:-(
A former member
Clues as to when and what to expect:

* IF Dundee votes No, Game over
* If Dumfries and Galloway votes Yes, Game Over

Also we will know what way the wind is blowing once Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife and North Lanarkshire have been called. ( The four biggest councils in Scotland = just under 2 million.
NE
newsman1

The chances of BBC1 really going off air at 9:15 when ITV are on air until 10:00 is unlikely regardless of the result.

So you think it's likely that BBC1 outside Scotland will simulcast the BBC News Channel coverage from 9:15?
TM
Telly Media London London
I notice that, according to the STV schedule for 19 September, the ITV News summary at 10:55 a.m. is still being broadcast on STV. What's the point in having an ITV News summary on STV at 10:55 a.m. when a half-hour STV News programme is being broadcast at 1:30 instead of the ITV News at 1:30, for which the 10:55 summary serves as a preview?

To be honest, I think STV might have enough on its plate come Friday morning, without having to worry about a short mid-morning news summary. With all the extra programming it is committed to already, it might just be easier to take the network summary instead.

Although who knows? I guess it's still possible arrangements could end up changing on the actual day ...

Yeah, I can see that happening.

To be honest I think a lot depends on the outcome of the referendum. There is already provision for ITV News bulletins to be extended throughout Friday in the event of a 'yes' vote.

Newer posts