TV Home Forum

Scottish Independence

What happens to the TV? (September 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Richard
Again how do we know the BBC will be willing just give up the BBC? BBC could tell the Scot Government "up yours" were not cutting up the company, and it could just be business as usual. BBC could claim its "British" which would still stand since Great Britain would still be around. ?

The BBC is a UK government asset so would be split unless negotiations decide otherwise. There would be studios and offices throughout Scotland that the BBC wouldn't need any more.
DK
DanielK
Again how do we know the BBC will be willing just give up the BBC? BBC could tell the Scot Government "up yours" were not cutting up the company, and it could just be business as usual. BBC could claim its "British" which would still stand since Great Britain would still be around. ?

The BBC is a UK government asset so would be split unless negotiations decide otherwise. There would be studios and offices throughout Scotland that the BBC wouldn't need any more.

I'm guessing there will be some sort of international bureaux in Scotland though...
RB
RB
Technically, "Britain" refers to England and Wales. "Great Britain" refers to England, Wales and Scotland.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2011/08/whats-the-difference-between-uk-britain-and-british-isles/

http://projectbritain.com/britain/britain.htm

So, if Scotland votes yes, the name of the remainder of the country could be the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland rather than the current United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Time for a reality check here. We would have the SBC. The SNP favours the Danish model so we should expect 2 main TV channels with the possibility of one or two additional TV services and possibly 3 radio services. I'd expect commercial radio and TV to follow an Austrian model which sees lots of German TV stations with opts for Austrian national news shows. There are many highly complex issues with independence. Media isn't one. Look at the Netherlands. The country completely overhauled and readvertised it's entire commercial radio sector only a few years ago. At the time the industry wanted it would be a disaster. Surprise surprise, it wasn't.

Not complex, no, but costly.

What is misleading is that they're saying they plan to create SBS with the assistance of the BBC. But that hasn't been agreed yet.
:-(
A former member
Why not just leave the BBC as it is..... just as for some addition content?
MS
msim

You really don't seem to understand what being 'independent' means...

What happens if in the future the UK decides to abolish their licence fee and/or the BBC as it is known? What's Scotland going to do then?
Stuart and tightrope78 gave kudos
TI
tightrope78

You really do not get it that if Scotland votes yes this week then an independent Scotland will have as much to do with the continuing UK as say Belgium. Scotland will be an independent sovereign country and the continuing UK will have no obligations with respect to the country. I live on Northern Ireland and the Republic if Ireland is as foreign to me as Australia. This is the reality of the situation. If the Scottish government are not prepared to make done financial contribution towards the BBC then it should be blacked out in an independent Scotland rather than sponging off the UK!
TR
TROGGLES

You really do not get it that if Scotland votes yes this week then an independent Scotland will have as much to do with the continuing UK as say Belgium. Scotland will be an independent sovereign country and the continuing UK will have no obligations with respect to the country. I live on Northern Ireland and the Republic if Ireland is as foreign to me as Australia. This is the reality of the situation. If the Scottish government are not prepared to make done financial contribution towards the BBC then it should be blacked out in an independent Scotland rather than sponging off the UK!

...are we also to expect the expulsion of Scottish members of TV Forum, with Scottish TV rebranded under 'Foreign Channels' ? Very Happy
RS
Rob_Schneider
Having a TV Forum Scotland would be the logical thing to do.
A former member

You really do not get it that if Scotland votes yes this week then an independent Scotland will have as much to do with the continuing UK as say Belgium. Scotland will be an independent sovereign country and the continuing UK will have no obligations with respect to the country.

We're be so sovereign, we'll have the pound, the Queen, the new royal baby, ALOT of BBC programming content, and ITV content. The same companies etc .
SC
scottishtv Founding member
I think some people want rid of the BBC:

A former member
I think some people want rid of the BBC:

Did anyone get the Sky news report with the donkey posters of BBC ?

Newer posts