Mass Media & Technology

Best TV to Buy?

(March 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SF
Shane Forster
To be honest, a £150 Blaupunkt television bought from Sainsbury's works just fine for many people.
JB
JasonB
To be honest, a £150 Blaupunkt television bought from Sainsbury's works just fine for many people.

My granddad bought a Blaupunkt from Sainsburys recently. He got the 42" one and it lasted an hour before most of the screen went red!
AJ
AJ

I'm sure it would work fine for many people, but I was after a bit more quality than a non-descript supermarket brand.

Having put up with a Logik "HD" TV (which was gifted to me) for 4 years, I was ready for a higher quality TV which could display colours without looking washed out. Much like anything, you get what you pay for.
BA
bilky asko
I had to put up with a 32" HD Technika TV last year - you eventually get used to the massive ghosting and other strange picture issues, but you soon notice them again after watching a decent TV for even a couple of days.
SF
Shane Forster
AJ posted:

I'm sure it would work fine for many people, but I was after a bit more quality than a non-descript supermarket brand.

Having put up with a Logik "HD" TV (which was gifted to me) for 4 years, I was ready for a higher quality TV which could display colours without looking washed out. Much like anything, you get what you pay for.

It's 1080p HD, with 3D capabilities.
SF
Shane Forster

My granddad bought a Blaupunkt from Sainsburys recently. He got the 42" one and it lasted an hour before most of the screen went red!

Really? We're very content with ours at the moment.
AJ
AJ
AJ posted:

It's 1080p HD, with 3D capabilities.

That doesn't mean anything if the TV can't process images without looking washed out and with ghosting. Like I said, the reality is that you get what you pay for, and as Billy Asko said, you soon notice the issues even more after moving to a higher quality TV set.

You're happy with your purchase, and that's fine. Good for you. I'm happy with mine, and we'll leave it at that.

94 days later

CW
cwathen Founding member
Despite selling many LCD and plasma TVs between 2006 and 2010 when I worked in electrical retail I've only just (as in literally within the last couple of weeks) finally moved to flat screen myself, up until now I've still been using a Panasonic Quintrix Acuity CRT as the flatscreens I used to sell had a vastly inferior picture (on standard def anyway) to my CRT, and so a 'tube is better' mantra is one I've held onto for a long time.

I note with interest how highly praised Samsung and LG are in this thread, perhaps times have moved on - when I worked in electrical retail both brands were to be avoided like the plague due to issues with reliability and performance as compared to brands like Panasonic and Sony. Working for a company which had it's own service department, I can tell you first hand that we had 5 Sammys fail under warranty for every Pana, and LG was considered so bad we didn't even stock it and would only get them in to order if a customer specifically wanted one. I've also never quite forgiven Samsung for pioneering that stupid piano black finish which looks stunning for 2 minutes after you pull the plastic off but will then scratch as soon as you look at it which almost all consumer electronics now come in.

I've now moved over to a Panasonic LED backlit LCD - absolutely beautiful picture but one thing that I just can't get past is how appalling the built in speakers are. It's not just my model, it's endemic to all flatscreens. That was the case when I sold them, but these were early flatscreens where the casing depth was still 4-5" or so, now we are down to 1" or less thickness it's got even worse. Considering that the CRT I've just taken out could fill a room with it's built in speakers (sounded about as good as a reasonable midi hifi system), I'm not too impressed to have ended up with something that sounds like a poundland radio despite being quite highly specced.

I'm aware that I could invest in a better sound system, but why the hell should I need to - sound is part of the TV experience and I can't believe manufacturers have still not done serious R&D on delivering decent sound within the confines of a flatscreen's case.

14 days later

CU
curvescreen
Unfortunately the markets obsession with ever thinner TV screens has rendered the sound quality achievable from TV speakers to the poor level you describe - you need to have a depth of about 2/ 3" to design a good sounding loudspeaker drive unit. I felt exactly the same as you when I bought my latest Samsung TV - I didn't want to spend too much and demo'd most of the contenders and found the Yamaha YSP2500 offered a big step up in sound quality but also was quite discrete in looks.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Popped into John Lewis today to have a demo of LG's 32LB580V. Was actually pleasantly surprised at how sound quality has improved with some of the flat screens and on a par with my old Beko CRT.

I don't think I'll be requiring a sound bar.

21 days later

CW
cwathen Founding member
Unfortunately the markets obsession with ever thinner TV screens has rendered the sound quality achievable from TV speakers to the poor level you describe - you need to have a depth of about 2/ 3" to design a good sounding loudspeaker drive unit. I felt exactly the same as you when I bought my latest Samsung TV - I didn't want to spend too much and demo'd most of the contenders and found the Yamaha YSP2500 offered a big step up in sound quality but also was quite discrete in looks.

With conventional moving-coil loudspeakers yes. But there are flat speaker technologies like NXT (although that seems to have died a death which is a shame when I've heard some decent sound from them) and high end audio brand Quad have for years been known for their flat-panel electrostatic speakers. I just find it astounding that the manufacturers are putting all of their time into picture quality and ever-thinner screens but when it comes to sound just shoehorn in tiny conventional speakers rather than looking at delivering decent sound in a flatscreen. Will the day come when they start fitting Piezo sounders if screens get so thin they can't get a moving coils speaker in?

Newer posts