TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain - the launch

(April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TW
tweedledum
I was watching the other day, and they had a feature on what to wear this summer, and they had models out on the South Bank. Just felt really trashy, and would of been completely suited to Lorraine. After seeing that, I turned back over to Breakfast.
Cando, tightrope78 and bilky asko gave kudos
DK
DanielK
I was watching the other day, and they had a feature on what to wear this summer, and they had models out on the South Bank. Just felt really trashy, and would of been completely suited to Lorraine. After seeing that, I turned back over to Breakfast.

It followed a story about suitable clothes for work in this weather, so not trashy and not so suited to Lorraine.
TW
tweedledum

It followed a story about suitable clothes for work in this weather, so not trashy and not so suited to Lorraine.
Fair enough them covering what to wear at work, but the way they presented it came across as very Lorraine/This Morning. I think it was suited to Lorraine - the music, the models, etc are all things you see on Lorraine.

GMTV probably wouldn't of went near it, and even if it did, certainly not in the way GMB did, and certainly not at something-to-8 - and that is saying something about the show that is supposed to be more 'newsy'.
Last edited by tweedledum on 19 July 2014 10:56pm
DK
DanielK

Fair enough them covering what to wear at work, but the way they presented it came across as very Lorraine/This Morning. I think it was suited to Lorraine - the music, the models, etc are all things you see on Lorraine.

GMTV probably wouldn't of went near it, and even if it did, certainly not in the way GMB did, and certainly not at something-to-8 - and that is saying something about the show that is supposed to be more 'newsy'.

When the whole GMTV production team split into Daybreak and Lorraine, I assume everyone associated with fashion moved to Lorraine, so they would've probably had to 'borrow' a producer for that segment.
DE
declan

When the whole GMTV production team split into Daybreak and Lorraine, I assume everyone associated with fashion moved to Lorraine, so they would've probably had to 'borrow' a producer for that segment.

I watched that episode too and prior to the models on South Bank they had 2 people going around London talking to others about what they were wearing and about fashion, this was followed by the models and I did immediately go "this is quite Lorraine-ish". However, following that Ben and Susanna discussed why you have to wear appropriate clothing and turned it back into news. It was a very "beat around the bush" news story though.

Coincidentally, I too turned to breakfast but at the break and just couldn't bare it and I actually turned back to GMB to watch the ads. I think this was mainly because it was such a bright and beautiful day even where I was and this whole "look it's summer and we're outside to celebrate that" attracted me, whilst the IMO dull BBC red and unemployment discussions just didn't associate with me.
BA
bilky asko
Coincidentally, I too turned to breakfast but at the break and just couldn't bare it and I actually turned back to GMB to watch the ads. I think this was mainly because it was such a bright and beautiful day even where I was and this whole "look it's summer and we're outside to celebrate that" attracted me, whilst the IMO dull BBC red and unemployment discussions just didn't associate with me.

"Dull BBC red"? Most of the presentation is bright orange, and the backdrop is perma-Summer. Still, it's not as if you paid any real attention to it - you heard "unemployment figures", and switched back to the fluff.
DE
declan

"Dull BBC red"? Most of the presentation is bright orange, and the backdrop is perma-Summer. Still, it's not as if you paid any real attention to it - you heard "unemployment figures", and switched back to the fluff.

Sorry you are right with the primarily orange set however the lower thirds do contain some BBC News red. I didn't hear the figures and go "oh no" and switch I listened for a few seconds to hear what they had to say. Ultimately, IMO it was boring, I don't just mean that piece of news the presentation just wasn't as attracting as GMB was for myself. I get that other people prefer Breakfast but for my own reasons GMB is what I choose to watch.
AS
ASO
Presentation wise - Breakfast is rubbish, GMB is much better.

Content wise - unemployment (for example) is an important subject that matters to people, it affects lots of people. GMB has a lot of fluff.

Each to their own.
CA
Cando

I watched that episode too and prior to the models on South Bank they had 2 people going around London talking to others about what they were wearing and about fashion, this was followed by the models and I did immediately go "this is quite Lorraine-ish". However, following that Ben and Susanna discussed why you have to wear appropriate clothing and turned it back into news.

This is the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum especially the last line. " Turned it into news" Rolling Eyes
AM
amosc100
Breakfast could easily present the show from the quayside at Salford Quays, especially with some of the backdrops they have nowadays - such as the IWM-North and the Lowry Centre. Only problem I could envisage is the horn of the tram as it leaves the station!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Aren't all of those areas pretty accessible to the public? The area that GMB use seems to be private and doesn't have people walking past etc, The last thing you want is some clown standing behind the presenters pulling stupid faces or holding up signs while they're trying to read a serious piece.
DK
DanielK
Aren't all of those areas pretty accessible to the public? The area that GMB use seems to be private and doesn't have people walking past etc, The last thing you want is some clown standing behind the presenters pulling stupid faces or holding up signs while they're trying to read a serious piece.

The area on GMB is public IIRC, its the walkway along the South Bank, the part that GMB is in front of the This Morning studio and off to the left a bit. Here: https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/112544947795697200673/gphoto/6015136729007839682

Newer posts