TV Home Forum

Doctor Who

Series 8 (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CG
Charlie Gough
Bail posted:
Looking at them (yes I found them) they're final picture locked scripts so they're verbatim what we'll see. It seems the first ep is feature length hence its 24 filmic look, the rest go back to the usual 45min duration.

Amusing though how many doubted their authenticity until the BBC comes along and tells people not to look for them, that's just a rag to the bull, I wouldn't have even know about the leak if they didn't issue a press release about it.

Where can I find these leaked scripts?
DE
declan
A page ago someone provided the name matey. Arr hope this helps. All I will say is that I am not viewing for many reasons but no more so than the fact that it will ruin the surprises for the first 5 episodes which is one episode short of half of this entire series. Nevertheless, it is completely your choice.
DJ
DJGM

Like I said earlier, sit on the dock of a certain (well known and highly controversial) Bay and ye shall find!
BA
Bail Moderator
Bail posted:
It seems the first ep is feature length hence its 24 filmic look, the rest go back to the usual 45min duration.

The duration wouldn't have anything do with the "look" - all the episodes will have undoubtedly been shot at 25fps as always.

I wasn't tying the two together i was saying, perhaps not clearly enough, that at the first episode is feature length and produced more filmicly and thus the 24fps make sense, the normal 45min eps are back to the more standard 25fps as I would expect.
DA
davidhorman
24fps wouldn't make sense. It happens to be the standard for drama in the US, but practically there's no difference between 24fps and 25fps. The former certainly doesn't look any more "filmic" than the latter, and would only introduce conversion problems when broadcast in the UK.
CG
Charlie Gough
DJGM posted:

Like I said earlier, sit on the dock of a certain (well known and highly controversial) Bay and ye shall find!

Not entirely sure what that means, sorry?
GM
Gary McEwan
It's referring to a certain site where you can download things. Who uses the Jolly Roger flag?
MD
mdtauk
I found them from the " 'noid "
:-(
A former member
yes me hearty Razz
BA
Bail Moderator
24fps wouldn't make sense. It happens to be the standard for drama in the US, but practically there's no difference between 24fps and 25fps. The former certainly doesn't look any more "filmic" than the latter, and would only introduce conversion problems when broadcast in the UK.

Yes it makes perfect sense.

24fps - Defacto theatrical film release worldwide standard. Derived from actual film negatives captured as 24 frames per second.

50i/25p - Standard UK (PAL) TV formats, one interlaced with 50 "half frames" one progressive with 25 whole frames which produces a "filmic look" due to the lower frame rate, now becoming the standard for many programmes not just drama.

60i/29.97p - Standard US (NTSC) TV formats, descriptions see above.

Filming a special feature length episode it seems they've sensibly opted for the true 24fps rate, which will be converted for broadcast around the world to the standard required, 29.97 or 25 and shown natively in cinemas as is. Exactly how the 50th Day of the Doctor was shot and transmitted.

It also means the Blu-Rays which I would expect to be a bigger earner/investment will also be released in the same native worldwide 24p format, at least for the premiere.

I could point out that almost all modern TV sets can play any of these formats quite happily and the NTSC/PAL thing is now outdated but that's for another topic entirely.
DA
davidhorman
Quote:
Exactly how the 50th Day of the Doctor was shot and transmitted.

Citation needed on that one. It certainly wasn't transmitted at 24fps in the UK.

It's not like Deep Breath is going to be the only episode that needs converting for foreign markets. Why would they change the production format for one episode just because it's a bit longer? I haven't heard anything it being shown in cinemas, but since cinemas are more and more digital these days, it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that they're capable of showing native 25p/50i material. Mine showed the Wimbledon final live last year in 3D, which was certainly a 50i source.

The NTSC/PAL thing isn't dead by a long shot - a lot of TVs made for the American market still, I'm told, can't handle PAL/50i, and broadcasters are still separated by the same 60i/50i divide as in the analogue days.
NE
Neo
Bail posted:
Yes it makes perfect sense.

24fps - Defacto theatrical film release worldwide standard. Derived from actual film negatives captured as 24 frames per second.

50i/25p - Standard UK (PAL) TV formats, one interlaced with 50 "half frames" one progressive with 25 whole frames which produces a "filmic look" due to the lower frame rate, now becoming the standard for many programmes not just drama.

Filming it at 24 fps means the place where it was shot and the people who funded it (though it might also be funded by BBC Worldwide?) will get it at the wrong speed (sped up to 25 fps) when it's broadcast. I don't think that's the best way for a UK production.
Last edited by Neo on 8 July 2014 3:11pm

Newer posts