TV Home Forum

Doctor Who

Series 8 (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
Bail Moderator
I can't say I'm that impressed with the visual effects in these promos, yes fire and explosions seem practical and nice enough but the finer detail, the electrical sparking and outline on the "xray" are shoddy at best. I'm guessing some of this is more in house than at The Mill now?
PE
Pete Founding member
Bail posted:
I can't say I'm that impressed with the visual effects in these promos, yes fire and explosions seem practical and nice enough but the finer detail, the electrical sparking and outline on the "xray" are shoddy at best. I'm guessing some of this is more in house than at The Mill now?

I wonder if it's meant to be stylised? BBC Marketing seem to have some odd ideas about what looks good. Think of the washed out photos of The Apprentice contestants every bloody year.
GO
gonzo
I was simply pointing out the fact that it started out on that date, but obviously I forgot free speech was banned. Rolling Eyes

You weren't, hence why you deleted:

I wonder if its a coincidence that it begins on Saturday 23rd, or if it was specifically planned to be on the 50 years and 9 months anniversary......?

In any case, you could have pointed out that Saturday 23rd August is the only Saturday 23rd this year, or made out that the nine months means that the Doctor will have a baby in the first episode in a Tumblr-inspired twist.

Do not give Mr Moffat any ideas.
CG
Charlie Gough
BBC Worldwide is pleading for fans not to share leaked Doctor Who Series 8 scripts.
www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-07-07/please-dont-share-secrets-of-doctor-who-series-8---bbc-worldwide-sorry-for-five-leaked-scripts
BA
Bail Moderator
Where is it, I wanna read it Smile
BA
Bail Moderator
So found the title cover which I can safely post here... But 24fps.. really? That seems odd to me, 25p makes sense, 24p, not so much as its really not a UK standard, or indeed a TV standard at all, films maybe.

CA
Cando
Yet another screw up from BBC WW
DA
davidhorman
According to the story they were being sent for translation for Latin American audiences, so I'd assume they are transcripts rather than scripts.

It may be that they do the opposite of PAL speed-up for broadcast in the US, in which case 24fps would be (sort of) correct. 23.976fps (with 2/3 pulldown to 60i) is still the drama standard in the US. That'd make the real UK running time 76 minutes, so who knows.

Update: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28201577
BBC are calling it "unfinished material," whatever that means.
Last edited by davidhorman on 7 July 2014 5:33pm
BA
Bail Moderator
Looking at them (yes I found them) they're final picture locked scripts so they're verbatim what we'll see. It seems the first ep is feature length hence its 24 filmic look, the rest go back to the usual 45min duration.

Amusing though how many doubted their authenticity until the BBC comes along and tells people not to look for them, that's just a rag to the bull, I wouldn't have even know about the leak if they didn't issue a press release about it.
MD
mdtauk
Digital Spy is where I learnt about the leak - I'm sure they would have reported it, press release or no press release.

Having said that, I have them, but wont be reading them before I see the episodes.
DJ
DJGM
For anyone wanting to be spoiled by these script leaks, sit on the dock of a certain Bay to find them . . .
DA
davidhorman
Bail posted:
It seems the first ep is feature length hence its 24 filmic look, the rest go back to the usual 45min duration.

The duration wouldn't have anything do with the "look" - all the episodes will have undoubtedly been shot at 25fps as always.

The last series of Torchwood was shot at 24fps as it was a joint US-UK production, and the only difference on broadcast here at 50i was that frames got a bit blurred together (enough to annoy the pants off a videophile, if not your average viewer).
Last edited by davidhorman on 7 July 2014 11:56pm

Newer posts