TV Home Forum

The Big Breakfast

Where life used to start at 7. (January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
My least favourite titles. What on earth possessed them?

I quite like the longer version of the 2001 re-launch theme. When they first launched (i was in my mid teens) and i thought the bloke standing next to the bus stop looked like John Major!

The frustration for me was that they'd obviously cost a fair bit (location filming, custom costumes, post production sparkles) and for the same budget they could have easily done a nice modern version of the original or 1998 titles.
BR
Brekkie
It seemed a fairly complete idea for something which was effectively a rushed replacement - I do wonder if it is something which had been previously pitched to them.

I don't mind them - preferred the original 2001 titles but apart from the logo and the sunrise these aren't bad, though are of course associated with the dying days of the show and kind of sum up it's confused identity. They really were trying too hard to wipe out everything they'd bought in just a few months earlier.

At least these titles had a point though. Never really understood why they introduced the Artful Dodger ones when they did (think it was April 2000) when they must have known Liza would soon be moving on and Johnny's days were probably numbered. I don't think the flying house titles were particularly tired by the point - and though this is easy to say in hindsight they could easily have lasted another year.

P.S. Was there a shorter version of the final titles as well. I might have invented this memory but wasn't there a version where the bus showed 08 rather than 07, presumably used at 8am.
JB
JasonB

P.S. Was there a shorter version of the final titles as well. I might have invented this memory but wasn't there a version where the bus showed 08 rather than 07, presumably used at 8am.

You're right!

This shows the bus displaying 08 on the top of the second hour:

VM
VMPhil
Not shorter then, that's the same length as the 7am titles isn't it.
JB
JasonB

It appears to be the same length. I think they maybe have swapped some shots around in the 8am version too?
FA
fanoftv
I really liked the titles. They took the name literally, and gave a bit of personality. I agree whataday about the budget that must have been spent on it. I'm glad that they kept the 2001 music.

As said, I too didn't like the sunrise or logo. The sunrise seemed an odd choice as each scene including the house had a blue with yellow sun background as opposed to the red. The logo was just a horrible choice of bulky fonts and then a horrible bevel to it. It seemed a long way from how the 3D logo burst out of the house in the 1997-2000 titles.
WH
Whataday Founding member

It appears to be the same length. I think they maybe have swapped some shots around in the 8am version too?

I'm pretty sure there was a shorter version that didn't include the bus, or much of it.

That penultimate episode, I couldn't bear to watch anymore than 4 minutes of it. The titles seemed to sum up the show of the time: a bit awkward and each segment/link dragged on for too long. In comparison to the 97 titles where you had the breakfast items gliding into the house, in the last ones they are frantically trying to get to the house on foot.
JB
JasonB
The 8am startup's in the show's last few months were quite clever. They featured Richard Bacon somewhere quite away from the house either talking to someone at the bottom of the canal then as he made his way back to the house the camera panned through the front garden or where ever it was to meet Richard back in his chair.

Like they did there with Richard on the bridge.
MA
mannewskev
Following on from a comment in the GMB thread about how the BB used to move out into the front garden on warm summer mornings (the chairs and sofa and TV were brought out too) - it's reminded me of what happened in 1995 when there was, I think, a power cut at the house during the 7am news. Peter Smith was left stranded on air, then some filler was played until 7:30ish when Peter presented an extended news. I think the house got back on air at just before 7:50 with Gaby and Keith and the living room set moved outside. I think the show was forced off air a few times in its history, wasn't it? (Plus, wasn't there a flood in 2000, but the show still went ahead?)
WH
Whataday Founding member
Following on from a comment in the GMB thread about how the BB used to move out into the front garden on warm summer mornings (the chairs and sofa and TV were brought out too) - it's reminded me of what happened in 1995 when there was, I think, a power cut at the house during the 7am news. Peter Smith was left stranded on air, then some filler was played until 7:30ish when Peter presented an extended news. I think the house got back on air at just before 7:50 with Gaby and Keith and the living room set moved outside. I think the show was forced off air a few times in its history, wasn't it? (Plus, wasn't there a flood in 2000, but the show still went ahead?)

The filler for the 95 power cut was an episode of The Clangers.

The 2000 flood saw much maligned weatherman Simon Fielder sent to the Steps of Woe for failing to predict it.
MA
mannewskev
How did the flood affect the show that morning?
WH
Whataday Founding member
How did the flood affect the show that morning?

I think the house was pretty much safe, it was just a bit surrounded like a moat.

Pic: www.thebigbreakfast.co.uk

Newer posts