The Newsroom

NIK GOWING | Last Bulletin for BBC World - Clip

(and a farewell kiss from Aaron Heslehurst too......) (April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
Gary McEwan
Nik's final day is Wednesday, 7th May 2014. At 11am UK time/10am GMT, and half an hour later for the simulcast (if that still happens?)

End of an era.

Yeah we still get the 11.30 simulcast on BBC Two...
BU
buster
Nik's final day is Wednesday, 7th May 2014. At 11am UK time/10am GMT, and half an hour later for the simulcast (if that still happens?)

End of an era.

Yeah we still get the 11.30 simulcast on BBC Two...

Not on Wednesdays...
DA
DAN09690
No Simulcast on BBC Two as it's a Wednesday meaning there is the extended Daily Politics for PMQ's.
JW
JamesWorldNews
He really is a no-nonsense, capable presenter. No fluffing and puffing.

He will be missed.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Agreed, James. It's sad that many of the "old guard" are now leaving or have already left, namely Gowing, Jessel, Hayton, Dennis, Brancher, Finighan, Pillai. There's only Dobbie, Embley and Doucet who could be considered the "old guard" now. Maybe Eades, Hockings and Guru-Murthy at a push but they only joined in the early 2000s rather than the 1990s. I still watch BBC World News occasionally, but it's certainly not the channel it once was. I still think it's good at what it does, but some of its newer presenters don't measure up to the greatness of those past in my opinion.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Yes, Peter, Mike, Lyse and David are the only remaining members of the old guard, so to speak. And, in my opinion, underused on the channel. Perhaps of their own choosing, though. I guess doing the same job for 20 years does wear and tear after a while.

Just tuning-in now for Nik's last hour.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Oh my word, that was classic! Aaron Heslehurst just gave Nik Gowing a hug & kiss live on air!
JW
JamesWorldNews
And now a final discussion around the desk with Lyse. It had to be.....
GI
ginnyfan
Hope someone recorded it.
SA
samwsmith1

25 days later

HA
harshy Founding member
Oh wow didn't realise Nik had finished presenting news on BBC World News, its a shame and more so as we didnt really get to him in the UK except when something bad happened and more recently the BBC2 Simulcast.
HA
harshy Founding member
Agreed, James. It's sad that many of the "old guard" are now leaving or have already left, namely Gowing, Jessel, Hayton, Dennis, Brancher, Finighan, Pillai. There's only Dobbie, Embley and Doucet who could be considered the "old guard" now. Maybe Eades, Hockings and Guru-Murthy at a push but they only joined in the early 2000s rather than the 1990s. I still watch BBC World News occasionally, but it's certainly not the channel it once was. I still think it's good at what it does, but some of its newer presenters don't measure up to the greatness of those past in my opinion.

Yeah I mean BBC World News had some fantastic HD studios now, and its certainly in very good shape now but compared to when i first started watching in the year 2000 lack the presentation gravitas, Adrian Finegan with the continuity announcements, wow, it was amazing from that not very well lit N9 studio what they did with it really, the channel was simply awesome and was too good compared to BBC News 24 at the time.

Newer posts