The Newsroom

Election 2014

UK Local and European Elections (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Richard
RDJ posted:
I'm watching on HD, and didn't even realise there was a regional opt: instead we got an extra chat with John Curtice. (I did wonder why it ended with a sting.)

Scrolling through the regions and only a handful are opting out in England anyway, therefore there's the sting and no mention of the regions as I only think about 4 or 5 regions are actually opting out.

I started watching on BBC 1 SD but switched to HD because no mention (that I noticed) was made of opts. Were there any in the North West?
RD
rdd Founding member
The BBC Northern Ireland "Vote 2014" logo appears to be quite different to that being used by Network, a dark shade of blue being used. It can be seen on the Northern Ireland page on BBC News Online and an animated version was used on a plasma during BBC Newsline 1.30.
DA
DAN09690
Moz posted:
They mightn't have a Night newsroom backdrop recorded, can't see why they couldn't have used the World night backdrop, it's a usual backdrop on BBC News at this time of night.

They must have a night newsroom backdrop for the 9pm mustn't they?

That comes from Studio A not C , A different Newsroom Backdrop is used in that Studio
AG
AxG
Who thought it was a good idea to use satellite imagery for the map, in Vine's 'green' area.
IL
i-lied
Jon posted:
Could they not have used Salford for the election coverage? It might be good for the pro-London bias.

Surely you mean that would have been bad for the pro-London bias?

Yes sorry, wrote anti-London bias first and then changed it. They have a new set of studios in Salford so they could have used a studio there, instead of being close to London.
DO
dosxuk
---
Last edited by dosxuk on 2 June 2014 5:52pm
bilky asko, Stuart and Steve Williams gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
But due to the unique way John Birt screwed everything up with Producer Choice, BBC News have to pay BBC Studios and Post Production for the use of Elstree D (and had to do so for TC1 in the past).

Therefore there is not necessarily a cost saving in hiring a BBC owned studio like Elstree D over one of the non-BBC studios at Salford.
SW
Steve Williams
Therefore there is not necessarily a cost saving in hiring a BBC owned studio like Elstree D over one of the non-BBC studios at Salford.

But there is extra cost in getting people to Salford. Yes, they've got a big studio in Salford, but they've got one in Glasgow as well, so you could just as well argue they could do election coverage from there?

This isn't the first time the studio has been spearated from the main production base, because up until the late eighties the election coverage was the responsibility of Current Affairs who were based in Lime Grove, but the studio was at Television Centre. Not such a big difference to have the newsgathering in Broadcasting House and the studio in Elstree.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
dosxuk had already made the point about the cost and logistics of using a different studio centre. I was commenting specifically on the idea that it was necessarily cheaper to book Elstree D than Salford because Elstree is owned by the BBC.
ST
Stuart
But there is extra cost in getting people to Salford. Yes, they've got a big studio in Salford, but they've got one in Glasgow as well, so you could just as well argue they could do election coverage from there?

I would very much hope that they use Glasgow for the referendum results in September, and that it's a national programme.

After all, the potential dissolution of the Union affects the whole of the UK.

That should be a great opportunity for BBC Scotland to show their mettle. Very Happy
BR
Brekkie
I'd imagine BBC Scotland would do their own programme surely. There is the assumption that the BBC will use their Commonwealth Games studio for the referendum but that presumably wouldn't be for a full results show - wouldn't be anywhere near big enough I'd have thought.
MD
MDQ1
I'd imagine BBC Scotland would do their own programme surely. There is the assumption that the BBC will use their Commonwealth Games studio for the referendum but that presumably wouldn't be for a full results show - wouldn't be anywhere near big enough I'd have thought.

I'm sure Huw Edwards is presenting from Glasgow nationally.

Newer posts