TV Home Forum

Subtitle problem.

I keep losing or not beeing able to achieve Subtitles. (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BM
BML
I purchased a PAN TX32LXD60 LCD television in 2006 so I recognise that it is 8 years old. I am very hard of hearing so I rely upon subtitles and I keep having to switch the sub title control on and off to keep even BBC 1 program Subtitles. I have had the aerial checked and that is all right. I understand that this may be a problem with the transmitter but I would like to know if it could be the television. Is there anything I can do to achieve more consistent Subtitles because I am not keen on going onto cable.
DE
deejay
Is it only on BBC ONE or does it happen on all channels? Also, does it happen on all programmes?
DA
David
You've not had much luck with subtitles, have you?
http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post891639

If the TV is otherwise ok, maybe a cheap Freeview box would solve your problems.
BM
BML
I notice that it often happens on BBC News because that is the news channel I watch. However, it is often impossible to get subtitles on other channels and when I contact them they tell me that they were showing the program with subtitles. The strange thing is that half way through a program if I give the subtitle button another go it will often show the subtitles.
I can put the program on induction loop but with many programs they distort the speech with background music so that is no use to a deaf old codger.
My wife is now lobbying me to buy a new TV I'm not sure that is the answer because I think that it is inadequate transmission power and I don't know who to contact to ask their opinion.
I suppose that the only way to guarantee subtitles is cable or satellite but I know nothing about either.
DA
David
Do this...

Borrow a different TV or Freeview box. Use it for a few days.
Do you still lose subtitles?
No? The problem is your TV.
Yes? The problem could be your aerial or a problem with the broadcast.

Do your neighbours lose subtitles?
Yes? It is probably a problem with the broadcast.
No? It is probably a problem with your aerial and/or wiring.

I bet the problem is with your TV. The fact that turning subtitles off and then on again fixes the problem seems to point to this.
NG
noggin Founding member
BML posted:

My wife is now lobbying me to buy a new TV I'm not sure that is the answer because I think that it is inadequate transmission power and I don't know who to contact to ask their opinion.

Subtitles disappearing is unlikely to be to do with transmission power.

Freeview uses digital transmission to carry sound, pictures and subtitles in the same digital data stream. If you get a good picture and good sound then your received signal will also receive good subtitles. If your picture doesn't break up into blocks and if your sound doesn't have disturbances (often sounding like chirps) then you have a decent signal.

If that is the case then, as others have suggested, your receiver could well be the issue. If possible borrow a Freeview set top box and try that connected to your aerial. If that solves your problem - then buying a cheap set top box (SD ones are often available for a tenner in supermarkets) might be a more cost effective solution than buying a new TV.

Quote:

I suppose that the only way to guarantee subtitles is cable or satellite but I know nothing about either.

Freeview is perfectly reliable for subtitles as long as you have a reasonable signal and your receiver works properly.

Newer posts