The Newsroom

ITV Local News

Picking up different areas on ITV and +1 (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BE
benriggers
I noticed this earlier on my Freeview box, I've got ITV News Meridian on normal ITV, but on +1 I seem to have Central News (Can't remember if it's East/West but Derby County were mentioned). Do I need to re-tune at all?
BA
bilky asko
I noticed this earlier on my Freeview box, I've got ITV News Meridian on normal ITV, but on +1 I seem to have Central News (Can't remember if it's East/West but Derby County were mentioned). Do I need to re-tune at all?

It might be still the case that not all regions are available on +1. We used to have Tyne Tees on ITV and Calendar on +1 until a while ago when they added Tyne Tees in (we also had, and still have, Granada on HD of course).
LL
London Lite Founding member
In the Oxfordshire area where it appears Ben is, the area is still part of the Central franchise, so despite being part of the Meridian news region after being allowed to share with Meridian's Hannington tx, as part of the sub Thames Valley opt is grouped with Central for advertising on ITV and receives the West version of Central on +1.
CI
cityprod
Back when ITV1 first launched the +1, we used to recieve ITV Wales on the +1 on Freeview, which meant some very specific differences between the normal schedule and the +1, and not just at the normal regional slots, so when checking the listings mags, you'd have to check the regional differences on ITV Wales to find out what would be playing on the +1.

Nowadays, we get the correct Westcountry sub region on the +1.
BR
Brekkie
I'd be surprised now if there was any major change in the structure of +1 or HD - though really as part of the licence rejig I think ITV should have been forced to make ITV Wales available in HD, especially as it opts out more than the English regions.
NW
nwtv2003

It might be still the case that not all regions are available on +1. We used to have Tyne Tees on ITV and Calendar on +1 until a while ago when they added Tyne Tees in (we also had, and still have, Granada on HD of course).

I believe regions like Tyne Tees got +1 once the North/South sub-opt regions were well and truly buried.

As it stands we only have London, Granada, Meridian, Central, STV Central West and UTV in HD, with Granada and London actually transmitting their news programmes in HD, unless ITV give HD equipment to every region, as said I can't see them adding more HD regions soon, as long as the main shows are in HD, msot people aren't bothered.
RI
Richard
There is a Wikipedia page I created (so I hope it's accurate!) which shows the regions available for ITV, ITV HD and ITV +1.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ITV_regions

I need to put in sonething for Border Scotland.
LO
Londoner
I don't think you've got Meridian quite right.

My grandmother lives in Meridian West (South Coast in your terminology) and receives Meridian East on +1 and HD
RI
Richard
I don't think you've got Meridian quite right.

My grandmother lives in Meridian West (South Coast in your terminology) and receives Meridian East on +1 and HD

It isn't my terminology, it's ITV's.
http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/new-to-itv/itv-regions/meridian

I got some of the info from ukfree.tv. I took Meridian Southampton to mean the South Coast region as that's where Meridian lies. I have now updated it.

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SZ447865
LL
London Lite Founding member
I don't think West and West Country are correct for HD. My friend in Bristol gets ITV Central (West) on Freeview.
RI
Richard
I don't think West and West Country are correct for HD. My friend in Bristol gets ITV Central (West) on Freeview.

You're right, actually, ukfree.tv is wrong in this case.
MA
Markymark

You're right, actually, ukfree.tv is wrong in this case.

ukfree.tv should never be taken as gospel, there are far more reliable hobby sites. a516 (of this parish) is a far
better source of reference.
Steve in Pudsey, rob and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts