TV Home Forum

Bruce Forsyth leaves Strictly

Claudia Winkleman named as replacement (April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DI
digipal
Great new, and Claudia is so funny when she does the green room bits
MF
MatthewFirth
This is bad. Don't like Claudia, however most of the candidates except Anton and Rob (Bydon) all publicly declined, so it was looking likely.

Starting to feel that Strictly will be gone within 5 years.
HA
harshy Founding member
it will be gone in two years time!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Strictly still has legs, but it feels like a refresh of Autumn Saturday nights on both BBC One and ITV is long overdue.
BR
Brekkie
Apparently, they will be the first EVER all-female regular presenting duo on UK prime-time television! The fact that it has taken until the 21st Century (and a-decade-and-a-half in, at that!) for such a thing to happen is shocking.

Not true at all - Mel and Sue being the obvious example. OK, Mel and Sue being the only example I can think of, but they've hosted BBC2's biggest show of recent years and were fronting Late Lunch back in the 1990s.
BA
bilky asko
This is bad. Don't like Claudia, however most of the candidates except Anton and Rob (Bydon) all publicly declined, so it was looking likely.

Eh? It was pretty obvious from the start it was going to be Claudia Winkleman. She's been tested in the role extensively, and presumably they've been able to see what the difference in ratings is.

Starting to feel that Strictly will be gone within 5 years.

Considering the life cycle of such shows, that's not a particularly prescient prediction.
BR
Brekkie
Strictly still has legs, but it feels like a refresh of Autumn Saturday nights on both BBC One and ITV is long overdue.

And what do you propose because both are so successful the rest of the year?

Strictly will have to fall even further than The X Factor to even be in line for the axe - other than The Voice (considered a flop with 6-7m viewers) and maybe Doctor Who if they ever manage to get the series to air the BBC hasn't got any entertainment shows that top 5m regularly - most don't even make 4m.

It's the same story at ITV with The X Factor - other than BGT (which rates better) their Saturday night offering struggle to pass the 4m mark, so even though it's now at 8m rather than 12m The X Factor isn't going anywhere.
GO
gottago
IMO the bigger surprise is Tess staying, Claudia being promoted was always very likely.
JO
Jon
I think the BBC has made the only move they could under the circumstances, I think their hands were tied behind their backs to a certain extent as not offering the show to the current stand in Claudia (or even Tess) could have caused massive problems and accusations of sexism which the corporation could ill-afford had a new male had been brought in.

I think even though some are pointing to the ratings holding up when Sir Bruce hasn't been there as to the reason the BBC think this is a safe option, I think people will still watch when he's not there if his presence got them interested in the series in the first place. Personally I only ever flicked Strictly on for that familiarity of seeing Forsyth present Saturday night TV, I've no interest in dance at all. Then there is probably some older people out there that watch for him too. I just feel they need someone of the calibre and profile of Graham Norton or even Cilla Black to just pick up an extra couple of million who just aren't that bothered about the dancing to replace him.

Before anyone berates me for my opinion, I'm not saying I've conducted thorough research into the matter but I think with this line up some of the charm and appeal for some people will be gone from the original show. I'm sure the formats strong enough though, but I won't be surprised if come 2015 the presenting line up is made up of Claudia and someone else or a totally new pairing.
Apparently, they will be the first EVER all-female regular presenting duo on UK prime-time television! The fact that it has taken until the 21st Century (and a-decade-and-a-half in, at that!) for such a thing to happen is shocking.

1. Someone has already pointed out that's not strictly true.

2. There aren't that many all male presenting line ups either in recent times.
3. If there hasn't been as many all female presenting duos that work well enough together to get these gigs that'll be why, it doesn't mean someone made an active decision not to give that select group a look in.

It's not as if women haven't been getting to be the sole hosts of hit shows, it just so happens not many have been presented by all female duos.

You're trying to make this out to be some kind of monuments thing when really it's not.
Last edited by Jon on 10 May 2014 2:53pm - 6 times in total
HJ
HJL
Cilla Black would indefinitely cause a drop in viewers, she's a pain and certainly won't attract any audience from the X Factor, whereas with other changes younger people may be attracted to the show, whilst the OAP's won't be offended by Claudia either.
JO
Jon
Cilla Black would indefinitely cause a drop in viewers, she's a pain and certainly won't attract any audience from the X Factor,

Well I'd say it's about maintaing the status quo for Strictly not about building the audience. I wasn't saying Cilla Black should have been given the gig, I was just giving an example of someone from the ilk that they need.
whereas with other changes younger people may be attracted to the show, whilst the OAP's won't be offended by Claudia either.

Claudia won't offend OAPs, but they'll lose the appeal that Forsyth would have given the show in certain markets that's for sure. Mainly those that don't like dance but like that familiarity of Saturday night telly of years gone by. This new presenting line up surely appeals to less groups than the original one. I don't think they'll attract many new viewers and they might lose some.

I suspect the celebrity line up might be bolstered up this year, to offset anyone not tuning in due to the new presenter line up.
Last edited by Jon on 10 May 2014 3:06pm - 2 times in total
HJ
HJL
Bruce, with the current format, was undeniably irreplaceable.

Newer posts