The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast fire alarm

Split from BBC Breakfast from Salford (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BU
buster
And of course they wouldn't schedule a drill during a live TV programme.

The Rolex thing is unfortunate, the adverts on World have always been opt outs so there's always been a clean non advert version available. I think sponsorship is different though, especially if part of a filler programme, the whole thing needs to be dropped or covered downstream.

Maybe World playout didn't have enough chance to drop the item

Although I seem to remember the team who were on BBC1 the night of the TVC bombing having to fade out/cover things like the weather sponsorship on World when it went out that night

That night in 2001 the weather as outputted on BBC1/News 24 just had generic in/out bumpers (fairly lengthy ones too, which I always took to be there so the sponsorship could be inserted locally, when required).

Still a bit surprised that the backup plan for Breakfast is a feed that contains advertising of some sort, however brief!
RI
Richard
Anyone get a capture? It's not on iplayer (unsurprising really, given the Rolex sponsorship). 5 Live is on iplayer, though.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Breakfast isn't usually on iPlayer, is it?
Blake Connolly, Leah and bilky asko gave kudos
RI
Richard
Fair enough. Would be interesting to see, though.
MI
m_in_m
I was surprised that BBC Breakfast didn't just either fall off air or end up cutting to a wide shot of the studio and Red Bee in London intervening. Do they pass over to BBC World because of the impact it would have on BBC News Channel, is it just perceived as being a better option or was it a case of do something in the seconds before you have to evacuate?

Obviously if Red Bee took control then they could in theory let the regions opt. I presume though they all could have opted but the timing meant presumably no one would have known exactly what was going on straight away. Also Red Bee could then have made an announcement with a cleaner cut to BBC World at 0800. This assumes that the link into Breakfast is live - is that the case?
CR
Critique
Do they pass over to BBC World because of the impact it would have on BBC News Channel, is it just perceived as being a better option or was it a case of do something in the seconds before you have to evacuate?

If I've interpreted you correctly, then the answer to this will be that the News Channel doesn't start up, as it were, until 8:30, simulcasting Breakfast from 6-8:30, meaning it'd be highly unlikely they'd be ready to broadcast.
BR
Brekkie
Joe posted:
bringing the set furniture forward to avoid everything feeling so restricted.

There's not much chance of that happening: https://www.flickr.com/photos/belowred/11588289613/

Would look better IMO if in that shot the presenters face us - wouldn't be ant bigger of course but I think with three walls and a bit more depth it would look better on screen.

The problem with Breakfast of course is the set simply wasn't designed for it - it works but could be better.
Last edited by Brekkie on 9 May 2014 9:41pm
HA
harshy Founding member

The Rolex thing is unfortunate, the adverts on World have always been opt outs so there's always been a clean non advert version available. I think sponsorship is different though, especially if part of a filler programme, the whole thing needs to be dropped or covered downstream.

Although I seem to remember the team who were on BBC1 the night of the TVC bombing having to fade out/cover things like the weather sponsorship on World when it went out that night

What does the clean version of BBC World consist off dosent it just show those Live the Story trailers?

Also was BBC World News in HD? and any screengrabs?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I was surprised that BBC Breakfast didn't just either fall off air or end up cutting to a wide shot of the studio and Red Bee in London intervening. Do they pass over to BBC World because of the impact it would have on BBC News Channel, is it just perceived as being a better option or was it a case of do something in the seconds before you have to evacuate?

My guess is that it's simpler for the Salford gallery to cut up World (the Breakfast clock was still on top of the World output) because when they get back in the building they can get back on air as soon as they're ready rather than having to liaise with both BBC1 pres and whatever area sustains the News Channel.

Much like how a radio station will want to play the emergency tape from the studio rather than via the silence detector because they can continue much more easily when they get back in.
GR
gregmc
Here's a clip of the incident.

SA
samwsmith1

What does the clean version of BBC World consist off dosent it just show those Live the Story trailers?

Also was BBC World News in HD? and any screengrabs?

Not sure about HD, but here are some caps I took off iPlayer restart.

FL
flaziola
Imagine if this happened and Naga was on BBC World News instead of Breakfast, that would really have confused BBC One viewers.
AFAIK Salford has the 'GMT Feed' of BBC World News (Promo times in GMT, most commonly seen on Livestation) This is the feed with the least local advertising but program sponsorships remain. You can see this running in the background on any sports news broadcasts.
To be fair they had little to no notice that UK viewers were about to join them (if at all they were made aware,) So you can't blame BBC World News for maintaining business as usual. I assumed the normal procedure was to play back an hour ago, put up a 'Recorded' bug and get the hell out.

Newer posts