The Gallery

RI:SE: Graphics and Set

Revival of short-lived Channel 4 Breakfast Show. (April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HJ
HJL
There are two reasons behind my decision to create a RI:SE mock. Firstly I really like the idea of a 30 minute programme that covers all the Important News, Sport, Weather and Entertainment in a younger fresher way, and Secondly, If ITV are going to go for a more newsy format when GMB launches next week, there is space for something more relaxed and light hearted.

New work to come, but if people still want to see the originals, heres two.

Last edited by HJL on 22 April 2014 8:46pm - 3 times in total
DO
dosxuk
Horrible fonts which don't work together.

No background to text on graphics is very rarely seen in the UK as it's very difficult to get to work. Here's an example:
http://home.vis-is.co.uk/data/grabs/nobg.jpg

I'm not going to rate it right now, because I don't see any evidence of any design. It's a couple of boxes and some text elements, can't have taken more than 10 minutes.
DO
dosxuk
Please don't delete images from mock threads - it makes it impossible to follow what people are talking about.

If you're not happy with them after comments, update your thread to clearly point that out, and consider put them into spoiler tags. That way people can see the progression and your ability to take on comments and criticism. A good mock thread shows progress and improvement throughout - that's impossible if you delete everything after a couple of people view each iteration.

For the benefit of other who want to see what was presented, here's one of the originals.
http://home.vis-is.co.uk/data/grabs/nobg_original.jpg
LE
Leah
I couldn't agree more with dosxuk. We want to see the progression. And this could really progress into something ok. But how are you going to improve without getting advice? We can't give advice when there is nothing to give advice on.
HJ
HJL
Okay, so I never should have uploaded the images I had earlier this afternoon, that was silly. But I have spent a lot more time attempting to make the design better, whilst using similar ideas, so I hope that this is preferred!

The actual programme will be casual, whilst informative. It'll be presented by four experienced people, Rachel Riley (Countdown), Helen Fospero (Daybreak), Richard Bacon and Pete Greves (Sky Sports News). Each will man a different section, Rachael Business, Helen News, Richard Social Media and Pete Sport. The idea is to give people watching a quick burst of news, with no advert breaks, covering everything from Current affairs, to the Official Music chart on a Monday Morning.

Feedback is always gratefully received.
Last edited by HJL on 23 April 2014 5:31pm - 4 times in total
TA
Tantusar
Richard Social Media sounds like he'd be weird to be around. I'll edit this post later with my opinions, looks like Metropol is down.
TA
Tantusar
Forget editing. Your design seems... inconsistent. Are you using gradients or not? Are you using a consistent palette (see Twitter image)? Why are you using a console-style font for the clock, when everything else is in one font? And, while this doesn't matter so much, why can't you spell UNITED?
HJ
HJL
Forget editing. Your design seems... inconsistent. Are you using gradients or not? Are you using a consistent palette (see Twitter image)? Why are you using a console-style font for the clock, when everything else is in one font? And, while this doesn't matter so much, why can't you spell UNITED?

You've picked the mock apart here, just to point out a typo. There are never more than two fonts on the screen at once, and the gradient is in the white description box only, so its not too grey. Of course that is excluding the logo, but thats more of an image rather than placement. I'm going to look at consistency through the mock, but would really like a greater depth of analysis to allow this mock to evolve.

Cheers
(also, it's all about the Arsenal)
HJ
HJL
I've done a lot of work on this mock over the last couple of days, so would be interested to see what people think of these new graphics. I've changed the side of the graphics, so they now appear on the left, which conforms with a lot of other graphic packages and follows the written communication in the western world. I hope that people like these, and as ever please feel free to comment and help me improve.
To show the evolution;
Take 1:
Take 2:
Last edited by HJL on 26 April 2014 4:10pm - 2 times in total
DO
dosxuk
They're still very very simple, there's still no design work here.

I don't like the two line boxes. It looks very much like you've sized them to fit your text, rather than designed them to fit the screen and then edited your text to match.

Font is too small for a morning programme where most people are rushing around trying to do other things with only quick glances at the screen.

Quote:
Firstly I really like the idea of a 30 minute programme that covers all the Important News, Sport, Weather and Entertainment in a younger fresher way, and Secondly, If ITV are going to go for a more newsy format when GMB launches next week, there is space for something more relaxed and light hearted.

Nothing about this says young or fresh, relaxed or light-hearted, in fact, it all looks like a failed daybreak mock.

These graphics, could work with a whole load of other graphical elements to do that, but on their own, they don't do anything.

Oh, and your graphics are on the left.
DO
dosxuk
[Reply to PM - I only provide feedback on forum, not under the table]

By "a whole load of other graphical elements", I mean things like backgrounds, slides, break bumpers, stings and so on - the whole graphical look of the programme.

Newer posts