The Gallery

BBC Two - New Video

The first physical mock on TV Forum? (April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
Bail Moderator
Update: Here's some video, a menu minus the 2 followed by Silk, in full HD.

[media:9ad5a49df2]http://up.metropol247.co.uk/Bail/SilkHD.flv[/media:9ad5a49df2]

Nothing original here really, but something new for TV Forum. A real world, real life physical mock.

I'm having a go at recreating some of the original BBC Two "2" idents, hopefully starting with Powder. I thought I'd share some of the behind the scenes prep and things before I actually film it in a few weeks time.

Firstly, I have a wooden "2" I made many many years ago at school, I've repainted this in the colours I'm thinking of using for my more accurate 3D printed two which I'm in the process of sanding smooth and painting today. Vauxhall blue has a nice metallic teal viridian look to it which I think might work well for another ident I'm planning on doing (can you guess which)

I can think of worse things to do on a bank holiday weekend! Smile
Last edited by Bail on 3 May 2014 3:07pm - 3 times in total
AS
ASO
Brilliant stuff, really nice. I would love to see more. Smile
LL
Larry the Loafer
I've always wanted to have a model '2'. No idea what I'd do with it. I just imagine it'd be great to hold.
VMPhil and Shane Forster gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Why not make more and sell them on EBAY Wink
Shane Forster and Jimmyson gave kudos
WP
WillPS
15 or so positive votes and there's not even any substance. Bunch of creeps.
JO
Jon
15 or so positive votes and there's not even any substance. Bunch of creeps.

Agreed, I fully expect these to be good though. Would like to see some new concepts thrown in too.
BA
Bail Moderator
Tee hee, once the models are done I will indeed try (and am open to) ideas for other situations of things to do with it. And Larry, it is surprisingly satisfying to hold, as Martin Lambie said in the "how do they do that" video there is a lot of "2" to hold and do things with, took some tweaking to get the depth to look and feel right, but its a very novel thing.

And WillPS you have a point, but look on the bright side it's not another GMDayMorningBreakTV mock Smile
PT
Put The Telly On
Lovely, and nice to have a good mock to tie in with the 50th birthday.
BR
Brekkie
Look forward to this - still amazes me that many of the original 2's were physical rather than computer generated. Indeed arguably designers achieved more towards the latter day of physical models than they can today with computer generated design.
BA
Bail Moderator
For those who are interested here's the company who made the original models, their show-reel also includes an unused ident, balloon, which is interesting.

http://www.asylumsfx.com/work/screen/?album=6&gallery=17
WP
WillPS
It would seem a little out of place, what with the 2 being merely printed on an object rather than the 2 resembling the object.
TM
Telly Media
Love these!

And how refreshing to see the use of actual models and real-life environments. Real craftsmanship, and look totally stunning.

Newer posts