This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
ASO
First Update http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post910548#post-910548
Second Update http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post910575#post-910575
Third Update http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post910669#post-910669
Fourth Update http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post916242#post-916242
Fifth Update http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post916375#post-916375
Sixth Update http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thegallery/weekend-39994/page-5?msg=102#post-916641

Here are my very simple ideas for the upcoming show 'Weekend' presented by Aled Jones. I wanted to give the design a bit of a magazine kind of feel. These are only ideas so far, I will upload more soon. Please feel free to leave comments Smile I hope you think it is an improvement from my last attempt at the show.

Name strap

Coming Up (I will add background soon)
Last edited by ASO on 14 May 2014 8:59pm - 12 times in total
AG
AxG
Kerning!
'W EEK END'

Also don't use white as the background.
AS
ASO
Thanks. Good advice on the kerning and I am going to add a background but I'm not sure what yet. I wasn't thinking!
LE
Leah
Yes please add a background and sort out the kerning. Other than that it is great I think. Lovely choice of colours and fonts. Can you describe what the titles would be like?
AS
ASO
Titles will be lovely and cheesy and would be different on both days.

On Saturday we will see lots of joyous scenes of people enjoying the morning, children playing whilst dad reads the newspaper and mum has a cup of tea etc. etc...
On Sunday, we will see people have a nice mug of coffee whilst eating a fry up followed by lots of people having a nice lazy day. These both leading into the title card (first picture)

Pretty generic stuff Wink

Thanks for the comments Leah.
HJ
HJL
Would like to know how you intend to animate the title slide. I like the font, but think that the design is a bit similar, just more of an amateur version of the ITV sunday shows that were on towards the end of last year. And they were definitely better!

Plus why are you making it so ironic, stating that it would be "pretty generic" and a little naff! Surely if you're going to do a mock you want to anticipate some longevity of a programme, rather that compile a mock that, similar to peoples beliefs, will only run for one series- until Aleds contract is up. Im sure ITV are anticipating the opportunity as one to develop an new and successful format (even if it isn't anticipated to remain under that same name or presenter) after the 'pilot run'.

With that all being said, I do like the elements of this mock, and believe that as a working progress that it could be really good. Just needs a bit of time and some more thought!
AS
ASO
The whole titles bit was sarcasm. It's what they are probably going to do in reality. I like that kind of stuff. It's warm and fuzzy and I hope that the titles will be a bit cheesy! I'm not going to actually going to make the titles, I was simply answering Leah's question. I agree it is similar to the Sunday Scoop thing but I took my inspiration from fashion posters and a trip to New York. I really like that style though and I think it sets the right tone. Thanks for the feedback Henry. I will add some more designs hopefully tomorrow (as I should be working!) and see what you all think.
DT
DTV
ASO posted:
The whole titles bit was sarcasm.

What, this was Sarcasm?
ASO posted:
Titles will be lovely and cheesy and would be different on both days.

On Saturday we will see lots of joyous scenes of people enjoying the morning, children playing whilst dad reads the newspaper and mum has a cup of tea etc. etc...
On Sunday, we will see people have a nice mug of coffee whilst eating a fry up followed by lots of people having a nice lazy day. These both leading into the title card (first picture)

Are you sure you know the definition of Sarcasm?

Anyway I shall now use my 5 Point Mock Reviewing System.
1 - Skill: Simple how skilful is it? Not really that skilful, simple rectangles, lines and text with little consideration for alignment and no background created - put simply this isn't even a full mock.
2 - Safezones: Does everything fit in the safe zones? Yes
3 - Looks good: Does it actually look good? Hard to tell without a full mock - i.e. Titles (atleast caps), or a graphic background
4 - Brand Inkeeping: If it is adding to an already existing brand is it inkeeping with that brands style? This is sort of irrelevant to GMB/Weekend mocks.
5 - Likelihood factor: Would this ever be put onto the air? [i]As I have said - how can I tell without a full mock or even an animation?

Also you know that PowerPoint can export in .png thus giving a nicer quality image and also the font sizes in the drop down menu aren't the only font sizes available - it looks weird where the end of Jones doesn't line up with Weekend on the title card.
HJ
HJL
Also, I fell that all your straps are the same on all the mocks- maybe give it a look because these are almost as pointless as they are ugly.
And I also wanted to add that this mock is 10X better than the mock that you did for weekend a few weeks ago!!
AS
ASO
What would you suggest with the straps? See my signature - simplicity is what I like. I will try to take feedback on board so thank you.
DT
DTV
ASO posted:
What would you suggest with the straps? See my signature - simplicity is what I like. I will try to take feedback on board so thank you.

Is it what you like or what you are capable of? The problem is that isn't what is wanted on TV or in a mocks gallery - some rectangles in PowerPoint.
DO
dosxuk
ASO posted:
See my signature - simplicity is what I like. I will try to take feedback on board so thank you.

There's simplicity and then there's simple. These are the latter.

BBC News' graphics look simple, but the way they've been designed to work across a range of platforms, programmes and events shows that underneath that simple look, they're anything but. The graphics you have designed above are simply simple - there's no real thought evident from what you've presented, just some flat coloured boxes on a white background - work that shouldn't take more than a few minutes tops.

Newer posts