TV Home Forum

Bruce Forsyth leaves Strictly

Claudia Winkleman named as replacement (April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Just announced by the BBC:

Quote:
Sir Bruce Forsyth today announces that he is stepping down from presenting the Strictly Come Dancing live shows but will remain on BBC One to present the Strictly Christmas Special, the Strictly Children in Need Special and other one-off specials yet to be announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/bruce-forsyth-strictly.html
Last edited by rob on 10 May 2014 8:04am
JO
Jon
It had to happen eventually, an end of an era though. Remarkable an 85 year old was a lead presenter on one of the most popular Saturday night shows on TV, when you think about it.
DJ
DJGM
I wouldn't be surprised if he announces his retirement within the next few years. He's earned it, there's no denying that.
JC
JCB
I'll be surprised if his replacement isn't the dreaded Barrowman.
JO
Jon
JCB posted:

It's a good shout. But then Graham Norton hasn't had a Saturday Night vehicle for a while now.

If not how about Matt Barbet? Wink
DV
DVB Cornwall
Claudia W, would be a natural successor and answer the 'Women on TV' debate that's simmering away. She knows the format intimately.
JO
Jon
Claudia W, would be a natural successor and answer the 'Women on TV' debate that's simmering away

I honestly don't think they'll go for two female hosts of roughly the same age. The debate is more about older women on TV, and although both are in their 40s, I think it's the 50+ age group that the debate is really about.

They won't choose the new host/co-host to settle a debate. They'll go for a big name they feel can carry the show.
She knows the format intimately.

What she gets up to in her own time is her own business.

A bit of a wildcard but how about Cilla Black, she'd be very popular, she's an older female and she's still younger than Brucie when he started the job. I know it won't happen but it would be very interesting to see.
Last edited by Jon on 4 April 2014 4:17pm - 2 times in total
MA
Markymark
Jon posted:
JCB posted:

It's a good shout. But then Graham Norton hasn't had a Saturday Night vehicle for a while now.

If not how about Matt Barbet? Wink

Umm, I was thinking of that Otis character that did C4 Athletics a couple of years ago ?
GE
Gareth E
If, hypothetically, Tess Daly were to decide to call it a day after doing the show for ten years (and there is of course no indication of this happening), I think Graham Norton and Claudia Winkleman would make a wonderful partnership.
Cando and DVB Cornwall gave kudos
JO
Jon
If, hypothetically, Tess Daly were to decide to call it a day after doing the show for ten years (and there is of course no indication of this happening), I think Graham Norton and Claudia Winkleman would make a wonderful partnership.

I don't think Winkleman would get that gig, it would go to Alex Jones or Zoe Ball I reckon if that scenario were to occur.
GE
Gareth E
Really? Why do you say that?

(Not being cheeky, genuinely interested in your opinion)
JC
JCB
Surely they're going to want to go with someone who can carry on with the old-school variety shtick?

Newer posts