The Newsroom

London Live

announce News presenters (December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
From the look of the BBC London behind-the-scenes VT, they appear to be using ENPS as their newsroom system (The same system the BBC use in their newsrooms). I'd have thought they'd have gone with iNews.

The DSLRs look a bit Frankencamera-like, with a lot of bolt on bits (presumably they need interfaces to get into the camera for control - USB?, some HDMI to HD-SDI converters etc., plus data feeds for the remote PTZs and reverse vision for the prompters) I'm sure it's a bit cheaper than a low-end triax camera

Looks like the motion control camera (and other remotes?) is being controlled from the studio floor from a table? (Or maybe that's a temporary programming position)
DK
DanielK
From the look of the BBC London behind-the-scenes VT, they appear to be using ENPS as their newsroom system (The same system the BBC use in their newsrooms). I'd have thought they'd have gone with iNews.

The DSLRs look a bit Frankencamera-like, with a lot of bolt on bits (presumably they need interfaces to get into the camera for control - USB?, some HDMI to HD-SDI converters etc., plus data feeds for the remote PTZs and reverse vision for the prompters) I'm sure it's a bit cheaper than a low-end triax camera

Looks like the motion control camera (and other remotes?) is being controlled from the studio floor from a table? (Or maybe that's a temporary programming position)

I'm not a television director/camera operator,nowhere near it, but IF I was the robotic camera operator ANYWHERE, I'd rather control from the floor rather than the gallery, would allow for more precise positioning etc IMO.
MW
Mike W

I'm not a television director/camera operator,nowhere near it, but IF I was the robotic camera operator ANYWHERE, I'd rather control from the floor rather than the gallery, would allow for more precise positioning etc IMO.

I'd rather have manual cameras on a ped than remotes, if I was a trained and honed camera operator..
DK
DanielK
I'd rather have manual cameras too, but if robotic is the way they have went, I'd rather control from the floor.
LL
London Lite Founding member
So London Live will not be available outside of London on Sky like the BBC regional channels?

It'll only be on 117 within the London area. Whether that is within the M25 or the whole London ITV region remains to be seen. However, you should be able to watch from tomorrow in the rest of the UK by adding the channel manually, as with other ITV regions but only if you have a Sky viewing card.

My bet is that it will use the same postcode mapping as BBC One London and ITV 1 London, and will be FTV mapped to 117. Viewers without a card won't be able to watch, and viewers out of region will have to manually add it via ADD CHANNELS.

I understand Sky map the London region in three different ways.

LONDON SD or HD
LONDON/KENT (BBC One South East/ITV London)
LONDON/THAMES VALLEY (BBC One South/ITV London)

In the latter two mapped areas, this could be used not to add channel 117 in the same way BBC One London isn't on 101.
LL
Pics from London Live's audition event in Covent Garden from Sunday.

NG
noggin Founding member

My surprise was that they weren't being controlled from the gallery, allowing the director to do it (as is usual in low cost operations) Of course they may have that option too.

In most established remote TV operations in News with a slightly higher budget the remote cameras are controlled from the gallery, usually for space reasons, and also because the lighting and camera exposure/colour balance are usually controlled by the same person (and you can't really judge the colour balance a camera if you are under studio lighting conditions).

For remote cameras at events - like pop concerts etc. - it is usual to control them from close to the camera position (and to only control one - or at most two cameras - per operator) but this is because you are working in a very different, less predictable environment.
Last edited by noggin on 31 March 2014 6:42am - 2 times in total
MA
Markymark
So London Live will not be available outside of London on Sky like the BBC regional channels?

It'll only be on 117 within the London area. Whether that is within the M25 or the whole London ITV region remains to be seen. However, you should be able to watch from tomorrow in the rest of the UK by adding the channel manually, as with other ITV regions but only if you have a Sky viewing card.

My bet is that it will use the same postcode mapping as BBC One London and ITV 1 London, and will be FTV mapped to 117. Viewers without a card won't be able to watch, and viewers out of region will have to manually add it via ADD CHANNELS.

I understand Sky map the London region in three different ways.

LONDON SD or HD
LONDON/KENT (BBC One South East/ITV London)
LONDON/THAMES VALLEY (BBC One South/ITV London)

In the latter two mapped areas, this could be used not to add channel 117 in the same way BBC One London isn't on 101.

Just added it manually on my Sky box with active FTV card (but is an ex subs card from a friend's box).

I get the banner ' This is the wrong viewing card for your Sky box' which is the same message the sports and movie channels give, rather than just the ' Call 0870 blah blah to upgrade' that I get with the low rent subs channels.

Either way, it's certainly not normal FTV, I suspect it's the same 'geolocked FTV' status that the BBC Nations had 1998 to 2003 ?
DE
derek500
I'm in the South West and it's unencrypted with a full sub card.
LL

ST
stuartfanning
On Sky EPG now. Many people in the Home Counties are getting it on their EPG so it seems if you are in the London TV region you will get London Live.
LL
On Sky EPG now. Many people in the Home Counties are getting it on their EPG so it seems if you are in the London TV region you will get London Live.

Interesting, that'll give them the same coverage on the EPG as ITV London. I thought they'd go for the same mapping as BBC One London which removes it from 101 from parts of Kent, Surrey, West Sussex and the Thames Valley.

It'll be interesting to see if the Luton and Bedford local tv licence goes on Sky and viewers will be able to receive it on 117 instead of LL or if it'll be mapped to ITV Anglia (W)? Unlikely considering the size, but there will be issues with fringe areas such as Luton, Guildford and Maidstone.
Last edited by London Lite on 31 March 2014 1:46pm

Newer posts