TV Home Forum

The Big Breakfast

Where life used to start at 7. (January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JB
JasonB
I Stumbled across this on youtube today, it's a scene in the gallery where a former Monty Python star is "directing" It's with in the first few minutes.

8 days later

WH
Whataday Founding member
I never noticed there was a little ledge over the top of the front door.
JB
JasonB
Going by these clips from 1996 it seems they tried out several angles on the orange sofa. I certainly don't remember them doing the show from this angle of the room.

FA
fanoftv
Going by these clips from 1996 it seems they tried out several angles on the orange sofa. I certainly don't remember them doing the show from this angle of the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DkfbX_5zHs

I don't remember watching much with Rick & Sharon, but Rick seems quite good in this clip, why was he not liked?
VM
VMPhil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DkfbX_5zHs

I don't remember watching much with Rick & Sharon, but Rick seems quite good in this clip, why was he not liked?

Maybe because he was bound to be compared with what came before?
WH
Whataday Founding member
As has been already discussed in this thread (which I have requested twice to be split off to a new thread in the main forum to no response) during the Rick/Sharon era ratings actually did recover, which probably saved it from the axe altogether.

I think maybe Rick was just in the right place at the wrong time. The whole genre of programming had evolved and with it the style of presenting. He was playing it straight, whereas by this stage you had TGI Friday, This Morning with Richard Not Judy, The Sunday Show etc which were a lot more ironic in style and playing it for laughs.
BR
Brekkie
Those were the days - competitions previewed within 40 seconds with just a single line disclaimer!

20 days later

WH
Whataday Founding member
Note they're re-using the old 1996 re-launch tv too.

Well spotted! I think that TV was resprayed from orange to silver for use on the Alien Alarm set.

Just to update on this, the TV was sprayed silver for DomeWatch in 98.
JB
JasonB
Note they're re-using the old 1996 re-launch tv too.

Well spotted! I think that TV was resprayed from orange to silver for use on the Alien Alarm set.

Just to update on this, the TV was sprayed silver for DomeWatch in 98.

Weird! I watched that clip on YT an hour ago! Very Happy

16 days later

JB
JasonB
When did the 2001 relaunch producer step down? Was it the same time as Paul Tonkinson was sacked?
BR
Brekkie
It was certainly within weeks of that - by the time Richard was in the house I think.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Richard Hopkins was replaced by Ben Ridgen on 2nd April, who sacked Paul a few days later on the 5th.

Newer posts