Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ET
ETP1 Forever
Do you have a link to TV68

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOiUGRA39RMEYzGTPDyQbEA
MA
martin890
the first ever itv schools on channel 4 has been uploaded onto youtube by schoolworks. i through the footage apart from james hudson who has got this footage would never be uncover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu1HTHh7RZE
JO
Jon
David posted:
9 minutes of someone filming Catchphrase during a rehearsal in 1988. This video answers some questions I had about the studio. Turns out the big screen WAS real. They both were.

I don't think that was true of the later non-TVS version considering it just had the 3D Catchphrase logo on them away from locked off shots.

Great find though.
BA
bilky asko
The screen's reflection in the main game are all to cock - the middle row of the grid is shown at the bottom part of the screen in the reflection. However, the reflection with the Super Catchphrase screen seems more realistic - it's not as in time, and smears a bit.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jon posted:
David posted:
9 minutes of someone filming Catchphrase during a rehearsal in 1988. This video answers some questions I had about the studio. Turns out the big screen WAS real. They both were.

I don't think that was true of the later non-TVS version considering it just had the 3D Catchphrase logo on them away from locked off shots.

Very good find. A typically TVS-style waste of money, as the graphics would have also been superimposed in better quality in post. Of course they weren't real video walls, they were early LED video light walls which you couldn't watch actual video/photos on. The LED bulbs would just mimic the basic shapes/colours of a video feed put into it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same type of screen as was used for Family Fortunes when the scoreboard went full colour in the late 80s.

It's possible to tell the screens are real here:

When the Catch Phrase logo flies away and lands on the big screen on the left, you see it fade out and replaced by what is the real screen, a much more pixelated logo.
DA
David
The screen's reflection in the main game are all to cock - the middle row of the grid is shown at the bottom part of the screen in the reflection. However, the reflection with the Super Catchphrase screen seems more realistic - it's not as in time, and smears a bit.

Good spot, is the reflection incorrect on all episodes from this era? I don't think I have noticed it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YW6PDDM0Eo

When the Catch Phrase logo flies away and lands on the big screen on the left, you see it fade out and replaced by what is the real screen, a much more pixelated logo.

Really? I would say for the whole duration of the long shot the logo is superimposed. When we go to the shot from the side we can see that the screen is actually displaying the screensaver style animation and not the logo at all. If they are going to add the logo in, why remove it in the middle of a shot anyway?
WH
Whataday Founding member
David posted:
Really? I would say for the whole duration of the long shot the logo is superimposed. When we go to the shot from the side we can see that the screen is actually displaying the screensaver style animation and not the logo at all. If they are going to add the logo in, why remove it in the middle of a shot anyway?

Well, up close and from the side the logo would look awful. Having said that, you might be right. The logo does seem to change to a poorer quality as it hits the screen though.
BA
bilky asko
David posted:

Good spot, is the reflection incorrect on all episodes from this era? I don't think I have noticed it before.

This episode from 1994 has no reflection of the "screen" at all:

This episode from 1995 has the correct reflection:

This different episode from 1997 (the one Jon posted has a copyright date of 1997) has the reflection all to cock:

This episode from 1998 (with the slightly altered title music) has the correct reflection again:

I reckon, therefore, that the 1997 episodes all have the messed-up reflection.

Also, watching the video Jon posted again, I'd say that both the reflections were simulated - I think the YouTube resolution fooled me a bit
BA
bilky asko
Jon posted:
David posted:

Very good find. A typically TVS-style waste of money, as the graphics would have also been superimposed in better quality in post. Of course they weren't real video walls, they were early LED video light walls which you couldn't watch actual video/photos on. The LED bulbs would just mimic the basic shapes/colours of a video feed put into it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same type of screen as was used for Family Fortunes when the scoreboard went full colour in the late 80s.

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but wouldn't CRT projection be a better guess as to how the screens work? The diagonal lines are too sharp for a Family Fortunes-style screen.
David posted:

Well, up close and from the side the logo would look awful. Having said that, you might be right. The logo does seem to change to a poorer quality as it hits the screen though.

I think it's just a timing thing - the transition is triggered later in this example:
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but wouldn't CRT projection be a better guess as to how the screens work? The diagonal lines are too sharp for a Family Fortunes-style screen.

The colour version wasn't in typical Family Fortunes-style:

BA
bilky asko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDoJMLYXwI

Indeed, I've seen it many times. But it's far too pixellated for the Catchphrase screens, in my eyes - you can see how jagged the diagonal lines look on the close-ups.
WH
Whataday Founding member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDoJMLYXwI

Indeed, I've seen it many times. But it's far too pixellated for the Catchphrase screens, in my eyes - you can see how jagged the diagonal lines look on the close-ups.

Apologies, I didn't watch the video all the way through where you see the screens close up. It does, on closer inspection appear to be some form of rear projection. In some shots it's possible to see the light source in the centre.

I was It's not often I'm wrong but when I am I will admit it Cool

Newer posts