Media Websites

The Gallery

Something HAS to change! (March 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AJ
AJ
Is it me, or is The Gallery becoming filled with nonsensical crap designs of late. It's great that they're faded out, but if you look at the forum at the moment, it's full of greyed out designs.

When critiques are given, seemingly no improvements are made and the same turd is posted again albeit in different colours.

I have no idea what the answer is to the problem - I'd say that it's newer members who are posting the tripe, but that isn't always the case.

Perhaps in the meantime, an option to hide faded out topics?
BA
bilky asko
When this version of the forum was still in Beta, mocks that had dropped below the threshold were hidden (you could tick a box on the right to unhide them). However, it meant that mocks that had just received a couple of ratings, or ones that could easily be improved upon seemed to disappear - it then looked like the thread had been deleted, and the relevant threads stopped receiving replies.
AJ
AJ
Yeah, I thought there might have been.

Perhaps one idea would be to bring that check box back, but don't grey out any designs until they've received 5 or 10 ratings?
BA
bilky asko
I think the check box only works if it's not enabled by default - a new mocker might find it weird if their mock were to suddenly disappear.

To be honest, I prefer the current system - it lets you see that there's activity, and yet highlights the good pieces of work.
JB
JasonB
The problem is those shoddy daybreak mocks, they all look the same! As soon as there's an announcement of yet another re-launch of the show the dreadful mocks always flock in one by one. I've never known a bunch of people so obsessed with a breakfast show such as daybreak.
JO
Jonny
Whereas people used to once feel embarrassed if they posted something so obviously not up to scratch and received criticism reflecting this, now they just don't seem to care. They're not posting for feedback, just for some kick out of seeing it live within a forum template. Negative feedback is brushed off with either 'nah, it looks great, stop complaining' or 'ok here's version 5'.

It's weird (the fascination with Daybreak equally so), I don't get it but there you go.
HJ
HJL
Is there a way of removing a whole thread in the Gallery, kind of thinking it could be useful to remove your own work??
DO
dosxuk
Is there a way of removing a whole thread in the Gallery, kind of thinking it could be useful to remove your own work??

Hopefully not. If there was it would mean even more terrible mocks. If people posted knowing their work was going to be available until the end of the universe, with their name attached, they'll hopefully spend more than 30 seconds on it.
HJ
HJL

Hopefully not. If there was it would mean even more terrible mocks. If people posted knowing their work was going to be available until the end of the universe, with their name attached, they'll hopefully spend more than 30 seconds on it.

Yes but the abuse people get is going to be enough for them to permanently disappear after <24 hours. I don't think you're required to look at them- you could just see the ones that are highly rated!
AS
ASO
Surely you should be able to remove your own mock. (Not anyone else's though.) I think it would mean the removal of a lot of crappy mocks like my Andrew Marr Show mock! Surely it would filter out the 3-5 star ones.

EDIT: currently there are 7 faded out mocks (that does include my Marr mock Embarassed )on the first page of the Gallery. Some are beyond help. Theoretically, their owners would remove them, but the owners of outstanding mocks would not.
GM
Gary McEwan
I think the Gallery thread should be locked until new members have become established by posting in other threads and build up some sort of reputation before they are let loose in the Gallery.

The amount of new members that have flooded with crappy GMB mocks is beyond a joke...and if certain people think this is about them, then it is.

The Gallery used to be a decent place to see people's creations good or bad. If they were bad, usually constructive criticism would be given, and over time the mock would actually be good.

The mockers though just don't seem to care if they are good or bad and still continue to flood the thread with nonsense and it really needs to stop.
AS
ASO
The Gallery used to be a decent place to see people's creations good or bad. If they were bad, usually constructive criticism would be given, and over time the mock would actually be good.

Yet you didn't give any constructive criticism on my GMB mock. You simply demanded that the thread was shut down. The word hypocrite springs to mind! I know that my mock isn't the best but I have tried to improve on it based on the criticism I had. I don't understand why you mentioned the lack if constructive criticism when you couldn't be bothered yourself.

I am not saying your the only one though.

I am sorry to rant and talk about my mocks but I am just trying to use my personal experience.

Newer posts