« Topics
news junkie713 posts since 29 Mar 2009
STV Central Reporting Scotland
Is Balding presenting for C4?

According to this, no it will be Jonathan Edwards from BBC Sport:

"Ade Adepitan and Arthur Williams will join Jonathan Edwards and Kelly Cates to anchor coverage from Channel 4’s London presentation studio, and Rachael Latham and Daraine Mulvihill join Iwan Thomas on the ground in Sochi.
Jon Snow will host live coverage of the opening ceremony with commentary provided by fellow Channel 4 News presenter, Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Keme Nzerem, Channel 4 News’ Sports Correspondent, will report from Sochi across the Paralympics with reports in each evening’s news programmes.

Another member of that 2012 team will also return: with Alex Brooker alongside Adam Hills and Josh Widdicombe for two special Sochi editions of hit entertainment show, The Last Leg. The trio will take a look at the weird and wonderful talking points of the week and also look at the stories and highlights from the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

Arthur and Kelly will present the Paralympic breakfast coverage before handing over to Ade and Jonathan who will anchor coverage of events in the mid-morning. The presenting team will be joined by a range of guests over the Games, including summer Paralympic athletes Richard Whitehead and Nathan Stephens, giving their expert opinion on the events and helping give detailed explanations of each of the sports and the equipment used."

SOURCE: http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-to-broadcast-150-hours-of-coverage-from-sochi-paralympics
Mouseboy332,644 posts since 10 Feb 2014
Here is the set NBC's morning show TODAY is using while they are broadcasting from Sochi. This typical for TODAY and NBC to decamp the entire PRESENTATION operation and broadcast from a set/studio set-up in a square on the grounds of the Olympic Park.

Historically Today haven't decamped the whole operation - just the presentation operation.

Unlike other NBC Olympic shows, which are produced, directed and technically produced locally in the NBC space in the IBC, Today often use a remote production system to allow production to be controlled from New York.

Certainly in Beijing (and I think London) every studio camera was fibred back separately to a gallery control room in New York, where the technical crew were still based. The show was directed from NY and cut there. I'd expect the same to be true of Sochi. It allows them to use their standard production processes, all their New York edit suites and play-in facilities etc.

So the entire operation didn't decamp...

Uhh. Obviously.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 25 February 2014 1:47am - 2 times in total
I'm here to give you something to talk about!
https://youtu.be/JSy2SVdtd0U
noggin14,365 posts since 26 Jun 2001
Here is the set NBC's morning show TODAY is using while they are broadcasting from Sochi. This typical for TODAY and NBC to decamp the entire operation and broadcast from a set/studio set-up in a square on the grounds of the Olympic Park.

Historically Today haven't decamped the whole operation - just the presentation operation.

Unlike other NBC Olympic shows, which are produced, directed and technically produced locally in the NBC space in the IBC, Today often use a remote production system to allow production to be controlled from New York.

Certainly in Beijing (and I think London) every studio camera was fibred back separately to a gallery control room in New York, where the technical crew were still based. The show was directed from NY and cut there. I'd expect the same to be true of Sochi. It allows them to use their standard production processes, all their New York edit suites and play-in facilities etc.

So the entire operation didn't decamp...

Uhh. Obviously.

Or not...

Fibre-ing back every individual studio camera feed to a different continent is relatively new, and not that obvious to those who don't follow the more technical side of the industry (and so the whole Today team didn't decamp... Most of them were still in New York I suspect).

There was also far less editing on-site for the main NBC Sport operation than even in London 2012. Recordings and Camera rushes were file transferred back to London and New York for editing there, rather than doing as much editing on-site in Sochi. Lots of EVS and Avid integration. Fibre and high-bandwith connectivity across large distances is a game-changer for big even production.
Mouseboy332,644 posts since 10 Feb 2014
Uhh. Obviously.

Is there any need for that? Why would it be obvious to anyone who didn't have that knowledge?

Uh. Right....
Anyway.....
Some more pics of CBC Canada's set. Nice use of natural materials and modern elements. Though a bit dark for my taste.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 25 February 2014 1:51am - 3 times in total
I'm here to give you something to talk about!
https://youtu.be/JSy2SVdtd0U