TV Home Forum

Susanna Reid to join revamped ITV breakfast show?

ITV breakfast to move to Studio 5 - Changes planned for April 28th (February 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bazinga
No one even knows who is going to present the show, pure speculation. Although it does seem susannah will make the move to itv, we will all just have to wait and see.
JK
JK08
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/susanna-reid-itv-breakfast-bbc-3150782

So as it looks, Susanna Reid is Lorraine's replacement?!

But Susanna's getting her own show, so will we have a Lorraine & Susanna branded shows?!

It doesn't say Susanna is getting her own show at ITV.

Quote:
"She is also likely to be given another ­afternoon programme to cement her position."

HB
HarryB
What will this be Daybreaks Fifth Rebrand/Refresh in 3 1/2 year.

I think this would be the 4th

Daybreak (purple)
Daybreak (yellow)
Daybreak (orange/current)
JW
JamesWorldNews
I am sure Bill will miss Susannar.
WH
Whataday Founding member
JK08 posted:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/susanna-reid-itv-breakfast-bbc-3150782

So as it looks, Susanna Reid is Lorraine's replacement?!

But Susanna's getting her own show, so will we have a Lorraine & Susanna branded shows?!

It doesn't say Susanna is getting her own show at ITV.

Quote:
"She is also likely to be given another ­afternoon programme to cement her position."

It says she IS hosting the breakfast show but it doesn't say anything concrete about other shows and it's unlikely any plans have been put in place yet.
ST
Stuart
If I was the BBC I wouldn't be too concerned about this - I really don't think she's as loved as ITV think she is. Quite frankly, they don't need her.

Has it actually been confirmed that Susannah Reid has taken the 'ITV shilling' and opted to drink from the poisoned chalice that is Daybreak (or whatever else they intend to call it next week) ?

It's a shame if she has defected. Money is quite a draw. Contracts don't last for ever, and ITV have previous on dumping people who don't live up to their perceived value.

EDIT:
I see the Manchester Evening News are reporting this as rumour.
Last edited by Stuart on 16 February 2014 5:33pm
CA
Cando
As I said months ago Helen Warner doesn't have a clue. If you thought the papers tore Christine and Adrian apart, then you haven't seen anything yet! This is going to be such a car crash.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Cando posted:
As I said months ago Helen Warner doesn't have a clue. If you thought the papers tore Christine and Adrian apart, then you haven't seen anything yet! This is going to be such a car crash.

But it wasn't just the papers. Viewers need to be given more credit than that. I don't ever believe that Christine and Adrian were particularly popular with viewers, and ITV completely misjudged the success of The One Show as the success of Christine and Adrian's partnership.

Susanna has some degree of popularity and to me she seems more down to earth than Christine. I guess in this case at least they've gone with someone that has been tried and tested on breakfast TV, and at the very least they have taken a main presenter from their direct competition, which could balls things up at the Beeb.
LL
London Lite Founding member

If I was the BBC I wouldn't be too concerned about this - I really don't think she's as loved as ITV think she is. Quite frankly, they don't need her.

It depends on who ITV will be targeting with this new breakfast show. If it's Susanna's male fanbase, that could be an issue. I'm not too sure if she's as female friendly as I suspect ITV will continue to target in the same way Kate Garraway or Lorraine Kelly are to housewives.

Personally, I hope Susanna is offered more of a newsy role outside of ITV Breakfast. Maybe anchoring Tonight or a post News at 10 discussion show as Tom Bradby currently presents. The BBC really didn't show us much of Ms Reid's journalism outside of the studio/interview arena.
CA
Cando
, and at the very least they have taken a main presenter from their direct competition, which could balls things up at the Beeb.

Oh please, she has barely presented since September. Two days a week mostly, one this week! I'm willing to bet that Louise Minchin is more popular with viewers and has clearly far better chemistry with Bill.
Cando posted:

But it wasn't just the papers. Viewers need to be given more credit than that. .

The papers add to the perception of failure and it was media coverage which feed into advertiser worries and clearly effects viewers.

Cando posted:

But it wasn't just the papers. Viewers need to be given more credit than that. I don't ever believe that Christine and Adrian were particularly popular with viewers , and ITV completely misjudged the success of The One Show as the success of Christine and Adrian's partnership.

Deluded central, they were very hugely popular until their move to ITV. Christine's 'demands' were similar to Susanna's and will be portrayed in the exact same light. All the newspaper's are already reporting her 'BBC runs through me' and 'will never leave' comments, along with £1m deal.
I Imagine Fiona Fullerton is already penning an article for the Mail Very Happy
CA
Cando

It depends on who ITV will be targeting with this new breakfast show. If it's Susanna's male fanbase, that could be an issue. arena .

Are you not embarrassed to have posted that? Rolling Eyes Do you actually know anything about news audience profiles? I imagine that target audience would be consist of 6 internet perverts.

The BBC really didn't show us much of Ms Reid's journalism outside of the studio/interview arena.

I thought you were joking, then I remembered that you suggested that Sophie Ridge should replace Adam Boulton as Sky Political Editor.
Last edited by Cando on 16 February 2014 6:44pm - 2 times in total
AS
Asa Admin
Wouldn't normally let a very speculative newspaper story run but it's had lots of comment already and needs to be moved out the mammoth Daybreak thread!

You do get the feeling this story does have some legs though. It's an interesting position to be in - a reported tonne more money and a short commute vs familiarity and security at the BBC...and knowledge of how badly it went for Christine.

(And if GMB is announced, can the first person please raise a new thread!!)
VMPhil and watchingtv gave kudos

Newer posts