TV Home Forum

ITV Be

Split from ITV Encore coming in 2015 (February 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TH
Thinker
ITV has applied to trademark the name "ITV Be". Another pay channel, perhaps?

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003041963
JO
Jon
Sounds like a lifestyle channel to me.
PA
pad
Perhaps ITV want to rebrand ITV2 and 3 and 4 as well to lose the numerals?
RO
rob Founding member
Confirmed as a new channel:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-launch-itvbe
:-(
A former member
Why not Improve Itv 2? Too many channels will disjoint the viewers.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Be is far too similar to ITV 2, as is Encore to ITV 3. It would make more sense if Be and Encore were both premium channels, with ITV along with 2, 3 and 4 remaining free.

As it is, this is just confusing, and the only explanation that makes sense is that they're going to end up merging the numbered channels into the new channels. In which case I wouldn't be surprised to see a new male orientated channel being announced soon.
CH
Chewy
I hope they move all the TOWIE style crap to ITVBe and work on improving the quality of the shows on ITV2.
JO
Jon
Really don't get what the point of difference between 2 and Be. Are we meant to think of this as ITV 2's answer to Sky Living It? If so wouldn't having ITV 2 as part of the name make sense? Rather than a new brand offering the same sort of programming on the same platforms.
PA
pad
The launch of ITVBe will see ITV’s family of channels expand to seven channels:

- Broad, mainstream programming in all genres on the main channel, ITV
- Entertainment for 16-34 year olds on ITV2
- Non-scripted, reality and lifestyle for a young and female audience on ITVBe
- Great storytelling and classic drama collections on ITV3
- Cult classics, acquisitions and sport on ITV4
- Children’s programming on CITV
TO
tomo359
Seems a bit odd to me. ITV2 is already a lot of repeats until about 8 or sometimes even 9pm. Why not air new content from 7pm each night.

Also what a random name. Be what exactly? Is this what they will do with the channel, add little words/sentences to the end of the name like "ITV Be Entertained" "ITV Be Impulsive" etc?? Or is there something to the name i'm missing?
TH
Thinker
I think this can make some sense. They will essentially split ITV2 in two, with the new channel taking all of the reality crap to create a downmarket powerhouse for a mostly female audience.

Reports suggest that the "new" ITV2 will have a clearer niche with its focus on younger viewers, perhaps making it more appealing to both genders and more people in that age group. The talk about investing more in original scripted comedy and panel shows supports this.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Also what a random name. Be what exactly? Is this what they will do with the channel, add little words/sentences to the end of the name like "ITV Be Entertained" "ITV Be Impulsive" etc?? Or is there something to the name i'm missing?

It immediately made me think of Simply Be, which is kind of the market they're going for... ish.
Last edited by Whataday on 12 February 2014 5:52pm

Newer posts