The Newsroom

The Andrew Marr Show

Live from New Broadcasting House - from Sunday 2nd September. (September 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OF
oflahertya
It made really good use of it, I am not familiar with the BBC Scotland Buildings so I didn't realize that was a canteen, however i thought it was odd the wood paneling in front of the door.

145 days later

TL
Three Lefts Do
Seems like the autocue initially wasn't working in the small Salford studio today. Sally Nugent started reading the bulletin from a paper script on the desk. After the first report package, all was well again with the autocue.
MB
Media Boy
The Autocue is scrolled from London, fed by a fibre line upto Salford.
It looks like the Salford gallery hadn't routed the feed to the Newsroom Camera, either that or there were problems with the script in Gallery B.
It's quite a tight turnaround from the breakfast presenter arriving to going on air.
CH
chris
It looks like the Salford gallery hadn't routed the feed to the Newsroom Camera, either that or there were problems with the script in Gallery B.
It's quite a tight turnaround from the breakfast presenter arriving to going on air.

That all seems a bit of a faff. Surely there must be someone about from Breakfast to do the autocue even if the script is sent from London. Is it not much more likely to go wrong if they're doing it from London?
DK
DanielK
chris posted:

That all seems a bit of a faff. Surely there must be someone about from Breakfast to do the autocue even if the script is sent from London. Is it not much more likely to go wrong if they're doing it from London?

I though the script would be tied to the automation?
MI
m_in_m
chris posted:

Who? The news presenter already has to leave breakfast before the penultimate one or two items to reach the position used for the bulletin. I presume the script is also being written by someone in the newsroom in London. If the round up at the end of the Marr Show is anything to go by the script is probably ready just as Andrew crosses to the news presenter.

Also I'd suggest the number of issues seen with the method used is no more than would have been experienced in London. Sally handled it professionally. It also looks better to me. I'm never a fan of using the other side of the studio for the Marr Show guests or news when Marr is moved to an earlier start. It just doesn't look as good.
MB
Media Boy
It's not a 'faff'.
The bulletins are produced and directed from London.
London have editorial control.
Breakfast are still on air as London rehearse, so who would scroll?
There is an operator in London and permanent fibres to and from Salford. It's a no brainer really, and actually, having the newsreader on open talkback from Studio B is just like having them on the CSO set, from a directors point of view you forget they are 200 miles away in Salford!
Remember Salford crew Breakfast on minimal staffing at weekends, so they set up the newsroom camera as part of their pre programme checks.
The camera and lighting is controlled from SQ2, the Breakfast gallery, and they route the Autocue feed, so it's already for the newsreader when they arrive.
London usually does a line up check during the module at 730/745 ish.
thegeek, bazinga and bilky asko gave kudos
CH
chris
It's not a 'faff'.
The bulletins are produced and directed from London.
London have editorial control.
Breakfast are still on air as London rehearse, so who would scroll?
There is an operator in London and permanent fibres to and from Salford. It's a no brainer really, and actually, having the newsreader on open talkback from Studio B is just like having them on the CSO set, from a directors point of view you forget they are 200 miles away in Salford!
Remember Salford crew Breakfast on minimal staffing at weekends, so they set up the newsroom camera as part of their pre programme checks.
The camera and lighting is controlled from SQ2, the Breakfast gallery, and they route the Autocue feed, so it's already for the newsreader when they arrive.
London usually does a line up check during the module at 730/745 ish.

I see. It all just seems a bit bizarre really but with a Salford-based Breakfast, it now sounds like the most logical option. Thanks for explaining.

Newer posts