New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

(July 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Sally Taylor confirming new titles for South Today this evening:

TL
Three Lefts Do
During the final link on tonight's Thames Valley sub-opt, the studio side plasma was erroneously showing the IoW Needles Lighthouse version of the programme logo (which is only meant for South Coast and/or pan-South), rather than the Reading Oracle Centre version.

Nevertheless, Sangeeta was saying "your watching ITV News Meridian in the Thames Valley", and then we got the sting (the Reading Oracle version!) as usual to bridge the end-of-opt join.

Presumably it's us Thames Valley viewers who are having an entirely live programme today, and the plasma was changed in readiness for the pan-South latter half slightly too early.
TL
Three Lefts Do
rob posted:
Sally Taylor confirming new titles for South Today this evening:

So, they're not using the Needles lighthouse as the "logo" anymore? Not that I'll see the new So'ton titles, here in Oxford sub-opt land.

I bet the sub-opt's "logo" will still be the Radcliffe Camera building, albeit now colour footage. If there are any new images in the sub-opt titles, I wonder if they'll actually have anything from Swindon or Buckinghamshire/Aylesbury Vale this time.

The current titles' images are entirely from Oxfordshire (apart from Silverstone in Northants!), as far as I'm aware.
RO
rob Founding member
South East Today music, colour footage on the titles. Video coming shortly.
TL
Three Lefts Do
So, we've now got the SET/NWT title music, and colour footage. Both as expected.

All new clips in the Oxford titles. Not sure what they all are, as it was all over quicker than I could take it all in.

One looked like possibly the St Aldates/High Street area of Oxford city centre (possibly from a camera up the Carfax tower). No Radcliffe Camera or Harwell donut building to be seen!

The final image is now a close up of the woman on the horse statue near Banbury Cross.

The first image looked like a clock tower or something. Maybe the one in Aylesbury? (Hurrah, recognition of Buckinghamshire!)

Not even one iota of change to the Oxford studio set, sadly. The closing sting-music of the opt is now much shorter than before, basically just two notes!
HB
HarryB
A South East Today sting used that I’ve never heard before at 18:40

EDIT: A mix between the old and new closing titles to end South today
Last edited by HarryB on 6 January 2014 6:57pm
RO
rob Founding member
New titles:

AG
AxG
Wrongly proportioned BBC News box, on the screen.
TL
Three Lefts Do
Anybody know what and where the tower at the end of the new So'ton titles is?
LO
LONDON
Anybody know what and where the tower at the end of the new So'ton titles is?

Its Clavell Tower in Dorset
MA
Markymark
AxG posted:

I've stared at it on freeze frame, and sorry, I can't see anything wrong with it ?
AG
AxG
AxG posted:

I've stared at it on freeze frame, and sorry, I can't see anything wrong with it ?

From 0:00 to 0:07, not the one on the titles.

Newer posts