The Gallery

BBC Television Rebrand Project 2013/2014

(November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DO
dosxuk
Here is the beta of the "Numerals with Style" logos This is just a quick draft and they will get better when I improve!
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3721/11645474785_5a17394ac2_o.png
Yeah... I kept Gill Sans for the 2 because it was the simplest choice. Even though it is 22 years old, it is still a good ident/logo symbol.

You've complained about lack of constructive criticism, so while I don't see any evidence of you having listened to that which you have had, I'll try and remain constructive here...

First - USE THE PROPER BBC LOGO. It's readily downloaded in numerous formats. If you can't find a white version (they exist), then you can recolour it in your software - if you can't do such a basic manipulation, then you should spend more time learning how to use the software rather than uploading mocks.

If you can't/won't download the proper logo - then USE THE SAME LOGO EVERY TIME - don't redraw it from scratch. Use the copy/paste function. When drawing a simple logo like the BBC's - SPEND MORE THAN 10 SECONDS ON IT - make sure the letters are aligned inside their boxes properly, and that the spacing between boxes and letters (kerning) matches.

Secondly - WHY?

Why have you chosen these fonts? How does "Goudy Stout" reflect the brand and programming of BBC 4? Why have you kept the black colour? Do you think these fonts work together as a single "BBC" television brand?

Thirdly - Consistency

Will these numbers look right on screen together? Why are the numbers all different sizes? Why does the BBC logo not line up with anything?

Fourth - WHY? (reprise)

Why oh why oh why does your "explanation" text not line up with anything? And can't you even get the four text blocks in the same text size?

Fifth - Remember...

Don't lie. We all know why you've used the wrong BBC 2 number shape - and it's not because you wanted it to look new. If that was the case, you'd have used a different font. Especially when you say "it is still a good ident/logo symbol".
DB
dbl
'Which one will work?' None of them. Lemme just echo what dosxuk said. ^
DO
dosxuk
dbl posted:
'Which one will work?' None of them

Come on, with a bit of work - change the shape a little, move the BBC boxes outside of the numeral, I reckon the BBC 2 could be workable.

Wink
MP
Michael Power
Here is the beta of the "Numerals with Style" logos This is just a quick draft and they will get better when I improve!
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3721/11645474785_5a17394ac2_o.png
Yeah... I kept Gill Sans for the 2 because it was the simplest choice. Even though it is 22 years old, it is still a good ident/logo symbol.

You've complained about lack of constructive criticism, so while I don't see any evidence of you having listened to that which you have had, I'll try and remain constructive here...

First - USE THE PROPER BBC LOGO. It's readily downloaded in numerous formats. If you can't find a white version (they exist), then you can recolour it in your software - if you can't do such a basic manipulation, then you should spend more time learning how to use the software rather than uploading mocks.

If you can't/won't download the proper logo - then USE THE SAME LOGO EVERY TIME - don't redraw it from scratch. Use the copy/paste function. When drawing a simple logo like the BBC's - SPEND MORE THAN 10 SECONDS ON IT - make sure the letters are aligned inside their boxes properly, and that the spacing between boxes and letters (kerning) matches.

Secondly - WHY?

Why have you chosen these fonts? How does "Goudy Stout" reflect the brand and programming of BBC 4? Why have you kept the black colour? Do you think these fonts work together as a single "BBC" television brand?

Thirdly - Consistency

Will these numbers look right on screen together? Why are the numbers all different sizes? Why does the BBC logo not line up with anything?

Fourth - WHY? (reprise)

Why oh why oh why does your "explanation" text not line up with anything? And can't you even get the four text blocks in the same text size?

Fifth - Remember...

Don't lie. We all know why you've used the wrong BBC 2 number shape - and it's not because you wanted it to look new. If that was the case, you'd have used a different font. Especially when you say "it is still a good ident/logo symbol".

Your proof: THIS GUY

This is crap.

Close the thread I'd say.

Still sucks. All I need to say.

He did not give me any details how to improve it
DO
dosxuk

Your proof: THIS GUY

This is crap.

Close the thread I'd say.

Still sucks. All I need to say.

He did not give me any details how to improve it

AxG, dbl and Jonny have all provided you with advice and links and you've not acted on any of their help. Just because one idiot just wants to slag off your work doesn't mean you should ignore all the other posters.

Take a step back and read through this whole thread again - ignore the posters just throwing out abuse and pay attention to the ones actually giving advice (maybe even give them 'kudos'). Just don't complain about the lack of constructive criticism when there has been some given and you've chosen to ignore it.
MP
Michael Power
I am so sorry to the people who helped. It's been pressuring for the last weeks of school I had. I am just a year 8 student who is going to be year 9 on feb. I have just been ignorant because I am tired after every day of school and some reason when you're tired the negatives are in 3D while the positives are in 2D IMO. Let's just look to the future of this mock and let's hope it's better after
http://i.myniceprofile.com/97/9797.gif
DB
dbl
It's not really a matter of me or anyone being hurt, but its more for you. When I first started (yeaaaaars ago), I had criticisms about my designs. It was harsh but I learnt from it and now I'm at uni, I'm the only person in my TV Production course who knows how to design and animate graphics for TV and get comments on how professional it looks.
MP
Michael Power
What about this?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5479/11660031836_dd7e0e291a_o.png
I used the official BBC logo and remade the BBC 2 and BBC 4 logo.
The logos will not look like this on their DOG it will just be their number and smaller.
This gives more ideas for idents, endboards and menus.
AG
AxG
The current branding is still an improvement.
DO
dosxuk
The following (main) points from my comments above still stand.

Secondly - WHY?

Thirdly - Consistency

MP
Michael Power
The following (main) points from my comments above still stand.

Secondly - WHY?

Thirdly - Consistency

BBC1 - Rockwell - I think it reflects BBC soaps, the news and the other programming
BBC2 - Ubuntu - I actually thought BBC2 neeed a change in logo, and it's pretty relaxed like most of the lifestyle programming it has
BBC3 - Lithos Pro - This font looked "fun" and lots of BBC3 programming is fun (American Dad, Family Guy, etc.)
BBC4 - Engravers MT - History is also in fonts. Engravers MT looks historic so that's why I used it.
Now, obviously the DOG, idents and the ECP, they will look right. I reckon these will fit nicely with the promotions and online. They will look smaller.
TW
tweedledum
I just dont think the font for BBC Four works - and it wouldtvon screen either.

You have to remember - its not about wheather or not it suits the channel, but its also about how it work on screen.

Newer posts