TV Home Forum

Licensed Stocking Fillers - Dodgy Branding

(December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
At this time of year, plenty of TV related products hit the shelves, usually licenced by the brand owner of each programme. I always remember as a child getting board games "Based on the ITV series" and usually featuring the production company's logo, in the days before a unified ITV identity.

I remember when The Big Breakfast licensed its brand to many things from crisps to shower gel, and the logo used would change as it was invariably redrawn each time.

Today, we are more brand conscious than ever, so I was wondering if you've seen any examples of branding being used incorrectly on official licensed products.

These stand out instantly to me:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TfNEWJfOwlw/UozwArV-P3I/AAAAAAAAEXk/wwlPucPJOH0/s1600/1.jpg

http://thegayuk.t83.net/communities/8/004/009/928/388/images/4602099959.jpg

I've worked closely with licensing brands before, and the owners usually have to sign everything off and can be quite pedantic about how theirs is used. I can't understand how old logos have been allowed to slip through the net.

With the Vicious cover, how can a graphic designer produce it not even noticing they are using the old ITV1 logo, even before it gets to be signed off?

The X Factor logo is a total mystery to me, unless they deliberately used the original logo to reflect the 10 year anniversary (which I think is unlikely).
AG
AxG
Not the old ITV1 logo, but the old old old ITV1 logo.
WH
Whataday Founding member
AxG posted:
Not the old ITV1 logo, but the old old old ITV1 logo.

The programme even aired after the rebrand took place!
PE
peterrocket Founding member
The old X-Factor logo is also on this year's winner's single....

http://i1.wp.com/www.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Screen-Shot-2013-12-15-at-21.27.47.png?resize=446%2C446
WH
Whataday Founding member
See, I just don't understand how something like that can slip through the net.
JA
Jamesypoo

Quite easily. The designer will have asked to be provided with a high quality version of the logo and that's probably what they've been sent/told to use. Everyday people are not half as brand aware as you may think.
WH
Whataday Founding member

Quite easily. The designer will have asked to be provided with a high quality version of the logo and that's probably what they've been sent/told to use. Everyday people are not half as brand aware as you may think.

Everyday people maybe, but graphic designers?
PE
Pete Founding member

Them too
WH
Whataday Founding member
Pete posted:

Them too

Well I wouldn't contract a graphic designer that didn't pick up on the fact that the ITV logo has changed beyond recognition.

Even so, if it got past the designer, surely it gets signed off at some point? It was released by 4DVD so not like it's a small distributor.
BR
Brekkie
Didn't realise there was a new X Factor logo.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
How about this for a beautiful branding fail - publicity cards for a programme that was on 1992-3 with the 1970s BBC1 logo
VM
VMPhil
Didn't realise there was a new X Factor logo.

It's ever so slightly different. Appeared for the first time on the US version and has made its way over here, although I don't think it's as good as the previous version.

http://www.maximumpop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/x-factor-logo.jpg

Newer posts