TV Home Forum

Nelson Mandela aged 95 has died

Tv coverage (December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
I'm not aware of any cinemas on Thursday night, putting up captions etc or stopping their films, and I doubt that
will happen when we have the next royal death, (and quite right too)

How many cinemas do you know with their own news services?

They do have the ability to address the audience through the audio system, and now of course
nearly all cinemas are 'digital' they do have the means to knock up simple captions, I know the font would distrees some in here Very Happy , but it would do the job if required

Well that's the point - it's a completely different situation.
KN
knack

There was also a strap at the start of Him & Her:

That also, some might say, is another example of BBC arrogance. People sometimes watch TV for escapism,
TV is so much more than a source of instant news, they may not actually want to know what's going on outside of their living room for the duration of a programme, and would like to watch it without distraction from beginning to end ?

I'm not aware of any cinemas on Thursday night, putting up captions etc or stopping their films, and I doubt that
will happen when we have the next royal death, (and quite right too)

I can't think of the last time they used these pointers but it can't be much more often than once a year?

If they did this on a weekly basis I might agree but as things are I don't see an issue.
BR
Brekkie
The trouble with those straps is viewers had to go to BBC1/BBC News to find out what the breaking news was. If they're going to put a strap over a programme due to a major story at least say what that story was, enabling viewers to make an informed choice without having to change channels to find out what the breaking news is.
JO
Jon
The trouble with those straps is viewers had to go to BBC1/BBC News to find out what the breaking news was. If they're going to put a strap over a programme due to a major story at least say what that story was, enabling viewers to make an informed choice without having to change channels to find out what the breaking news is.

But then you'd have the possible complaint of the news story being accompanied by pictures that were disrespectful.
PC
p_c_u_k
Yes, I can imagine that "Nelson Mandela has died - BBC News Channel now" over a picture of Mrs Brown hitting someone with a frying pan would be less than ideal.

It also minimises the chance of someone writing something like: "Nelson Mandela dead - live coverage" while in a hurry to get the caption on air.

On previous royal deaths the phrase: "Turn to BBC1 for an important announcement" has been used, but this was more of a breaking news story than a national event, albeit a huge breaking news story.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Is there some underlying tactic to get people to switch over? There's a video somewhere on YT of somebody channel hopping on cable channels on the morning Princess Diana died, and there were various mentions of "important announcements" but no specific details. I'd imagine if people knew what the story already was, they'd choose whether or not to switch depending on how interested they are.
BE
benriggers
UK Gold just put a message saying "please tune to your news channel" the morning Diana died.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcldhu_goldspiders_shortfilms
(3.43 in)
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm surprised that UK Gold didn't point towards BBC1.

Captions broadcast by QVC, Nickelodeon and UK Gold's sister channel UK Living that morning can be seen on this clip:
VM
VMPhil
Interesting to see CNN take GMTV.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Captions broadcast by QVC, Nickelodeon and UK Gold's sister channel UK Living that morning can be seen on this clip:

I know it's off topic, but weren't UK Gold and UK Living unrelated? I thought the reason why they changed their name to Living TV was to disassociate itself from the UKTV brand.
:-(
A former member
No there were linked, for a couple of years by Flextech owning shares in them.
IS
Inspector Sands

I know it's off topic, but weren't UK Gold and UK Living unrelated?

No, Gold was launched by Thames the BBC and a company called Cox in 1992 and Living by the same group in 1993.

The BBC involvement in UK Living was less, it was more a Thames project, coming from Teddington Studios. However the procedure was - for UK Living at least - in such a circumstance to point towards the BBC, rather than Sky News like the others on Skys package

Quote:
I thought the reason why they changed their name to Living TV was to disassociate itself from the UKTV brand.

Yes, when UKTV launched things were rejiggled, Flextech were involved and took Living and the UKTV side got UK Gold. Hence the name change
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 15 December 2013 10:42am

Newer posts