TV Home Forum

World Cup 2014 - Brazil

Coverage (December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Quick off the press ITV have published the split of coverage of the Group Section of the tournament.

England get one BBC match and two on ITV.

more details ……..

WORLDCUP on ITV.COM
10-Dec-2013 @ 18:20
EJ
EJNutz
The ITV Press release is here
http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-and-bbc-announce-world-cup-match-split#.UqdgcuLcOmM

detailing all games to be shown on each channel
BR
Brekkie
That's very quick off the mark - last time I think it was March the split was announced.
GE
Gareth E
No surprise the BBC get the Italy game - although its the plum fixture, it'll be less attractive to advertisers with the late-night kick-off.

As usual, it'll all depend on how far England progress to decide which broadcaster has got the best of the picks. If they don't make it past the group stages, ITV will be pleased with the outcome.
MA
madmusician
Of note in this agreement is that if England get to a quarter final, then that will be the first time since 1998 that an England knock-out match will not be on the BBC.

This is the first World Cup since the new system of picks was introduced (at Euro 2012). Instead of any bartering (as has been the case in previous years) it is now a straight 'pick' system. ITV had first pick this time (BBC will in 2018), which is why they are at a slight advantage. That's why this has been organised so quickly - the broadcasters just go between each other letting them know what their pick is rather than any negotiations breaking down, as has been the case previously.
BR
Brekkie
No surprise the Uruguay match would have been first pick for them, and they've obviouisly gone for the certainty of the Costa Rica game rather than the risk of the first knock out. I wonder if the BBC went for a semi-final or Spain v Netherlands as their 6th pick - I'd suspect the latter.

Newer posts