TV Home Forum

UK Election debates

(December 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member

I dare say there will be 3 different programmmes, I wonder if will still be BBC, ITV and Sky?
WP
WillPS
Was there any doubt this would happen?

Channel 4 have expressed they would like to do one IIRC, but I've not heard anything of it.
LJ
Live at five with Jeremy
I predict a huge debate about the debate from UKIP at not being involved in the main debates that a) could bring down the debates or b) overshadow the actual debates. UKIP will have a good case to put forward to be included in the debates which will lead to wrangling among party leaders and could be a banana skin for the television executives.
SW
Steve Williams
UKIP will have a good case to put forward to be included in the debates which will lead to wrangling among party leaders and could be a banana skin for the television executives.

Would have though the Greens and Respect would have had more of a case to be in the debates, what with them having MPs.
BU
buster
Was there any doubt this would happen?

In a word, yes. For years and years the parties couldn't agree on the terms - in particular Blair turned them down at the height of his popularity because he knew he had everything to lose. 2010 was a unique situation where all the parties felt they could benefit from them -and in the end it turned out to be the Lib Dems who got the biggest boost by putting them on the same platform, which you could argue eroded the vote for Labour and the Tories and ultimately led to the coalition. So I think they were all wary about doing them again, it was never a done deal. Will be interesting to hear what (if anything) is changing regarding the format.
A former member
I take it no boos or clapping will be allowed again. At least the Scottish versions were more proper with boos and clapping.
BA
bilky asko
and in the end it turned out to be the Lib Dems who got the biggest boost by putting them on the same platform, which you could argue eroded the vote for Labour and the Tories and ultimately led to the coalition.

Yes, it was so successful their number of MPs dropped from the previous election.
House and Live at five with Jeremy gave kudos
MW
Mike W
I take it no boos or clapping will be allowed again. At least the Scottish versions were more proper with boos and clapping.

Politics =/= Entertainment...

However sometimes it is entertaining, so I'll grant you that!
A former member
Iain grey got a very nasty response from the audience during that debate, I take it the Westminster people don't want that sort of judgement to fall upon them.

Of course a kick in the teeth on a sinking ship want really matter.
BU
buster
and in the end it turned out to be the Lib Dems who got the biggest boost by putting them on the same platform, which you could argue eroded the vote for Labour and the Tories and ultimately led to the coalition.

Yes, it was so successful their number of MPs dropped from the previous election.

Their share of the rose compared with 2005, but thanks to our wonderful electoral system they in fact lost seats overall.
BR
Brekkie
And it's thanks to our wonderful election system they'll hopefully be wiped out next time around for betraying their core vote. Lib Dems only want PR because it means they'd never be an outright winner so they'd effectively always be in power as part of a coalition.
BA
bilky asko

Their share of the rose compared with 2005, but thanks to our wonderful electoral system they in fact lost seats overall.

By a huge 1 percent! Whoopee!

Newer posts