The Gallery

Sky News Mock

A flatter design (November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
At some point I was complaining that Sky News's graphics were a bit out of step, being glossy and 3D. I decided to do a mock based on a flatter design.
http://weatherfieldgazette.co.uk/norris/s1x.png
http://weatherfieldgazette.co.uk/norris/s2.png
http://weatherfieldgazette.co.uk/norris/s3.png
JO
Jon
I like this. The colouring reminds me of early 00s Sky News, which some would argue was a classier era presentation wise. But at the same time the flat colours make this seem both smart and modern. I'm not sure Sky are ready to get rid of their uniform logo style across their brands, but the logo is suited to a News channel and fits in well with the rest of the onscreen look you have created.
NZ
NZnewswatch
Idea is good. But I think sky is due for a complete overhaul as sky news Australia and New Zealand have an entirely diffrent look but the overall look is poor. I prefer the ITV yellow look or the CNN ēn ēspanol look
MD
mdtauk
I would recommend you take another look at these with these points in mind...

- Using white as the base colour to the graphics would perhaps make it harder to stand out from BBC News;

- The Sky corporate font seems a bit too informal for a News channel, perhaps use the custom font Sky News currently use?;

- I think these mocks, and the actual channel, can have too much text on screen, and lines with too many words to be comfortable to read. Consider what text needs to be shown at any one time, and ensure that the text is comfortable to read from large screens to the mobile phones and tablets;

- The logo does not feel strong enough and perhaps should be tweaked slightly;
BA
bilky asko
Thanks for the comments so far.
I would recommend you take another look at these with these points in mind...

- Using white as the base colour to the graphics would perhaps make it harder to stand out from BBC News;

I'll tweak them to make the red and blue more obvious - the feeling of white may be down to the transparent backgrounds I left in with the first two images. (I've now changed it)

- The Sky corporate font seems a bit too informal for a News channel, perhaps use the custom font Sky News currently use?;

As far as I know, that is the Sky News font. I think the bold version of the font is the one that's similar to the corporate font, which I think is rarely used currently.

- I think these mocks, and the actual channel, can have too much text on screen, and lines with too many words to be comfortable to read. Consider what text needs to be shown at any one time, and ensure that the text is comfortable to read from large screens to the mobile phones and tablets;

Personally, I dislike the sidebar as a concept. The problem with it is that it becomes pretty useless once you bring the text size up to a readable size. The font size in the mock is larger than in the original HD graphics, incidentally.

- The logo does not feel strong enough and perhaps should be tweaked slightly;

Trying to align a lowercase logo with ascenders and descenders with uppercase text without at least some sense of imbalance is hard, especially considering the weight differences. Personally, I think the emphasis needs to lean towards "Sky" instead of "News" or "HD" - I'll see what I can do to make it stand out a bit more.
Last edited by bilky asko on 22 November 2013 2:58pm
MF
MatthewFirth
I do think this is OK. 3/5

I would stick to blue and red, but you need to change the Breaking News, to make it more stand out.
JO
Jon
I do think this is OK. 3/5

I would stick to blue and red, but you need to change the Breaking News, to make it more stand out.

I think the words 'Breaking News' don't stand out, but the Breaking News graphic as a whole is noticeable, because it's mostly in red.
CR
Critique
Ooh, I'm not too sure on this - it seems too reminiscent of the old 2003 look. It might be because I quite like the current Sky News branding, but this just seems a bit of a move backwards. The current look is dark, sleek and classy, and this just seems a bit too bright and plain. The two main things don't sit quite right with me is how the background of the clock is the same colour as the background on the main strap, so the two just blend together, and how IMO the logo looks quite unbalanced - the emphasis is most definitely on 'Sky', and IMO it needs to be more balanced?

I won't cast judgement yet because I'm still undecided.

Also, what a nice font... A shame I don't have it.
BA
bilky asko
Ooh, I'm not too sure on this - it seems too reminiscent of the old 2003 look. It might be because I quite like the current Sky News branding, but this just seems a bit of a move backwards. The current look is dark, sleek and classy, and this just seems a bit too bright and plain. The two main things don't sit quite right with me is how the background of the clock is the same colour as the background on the main strap, so the two just blend together, and how IMO the logo looks quite unbalanced - the emphasis is most definitely on 'Sky', and IMO it needs to be more balanced?

This mock was based on my dislike of the current glassy look of Sky News. I decided against completely flat white, but I felt the blue and red were bold enough to remain flat, and I also decided against black over blue, because Sky News still makes me think blue and red.

The current look is a bit of a mish-mash in my eyes - watching today, I noticed how many different styles of red background they had on the graphics, and it bugged me.

As regards the logo, I tried a few different configurations before I settled on that one. I think that was the most balanced using alignment, but maybe I could get it a bit better by partially disregarding alignment.

Anyway, I'm in the process of making some changes, so watch out for more...
NZ
NZnewswatch
Has potential Smile can't wait to see version 2.0
HB
HarryB
A lovely mock! Would love to see further versions of this, just one thing, the title text, to me, doesnt look lined up with the caption text below it, is this deliberate?
MD
mdtauk

Newer posts