TV Home Forum

CBeebies HD/BBC Four HD

now testing on satellite (November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
Mike516
CBeebies HD and BBC Four HD are now testing on satellite ahead of their imminent launch.
Astra 2F, 11024 H, symbol rate 23000, FEC 2/3.

BBC Four HD now showing an HD simulcast of BBC World News Today.

I don't think its manually tunable on Sky boxes, as its the transponder with BBC RB HD on it.
HA
harshy Founding member
It's upscaled at the moment definitely world news today is not in hd
MI
Mike516
I noticed the HD flag on my Freesat receiver was off and then on again while viewing these channels over the past hour. I don't know whether that's just my box, but then again these are just tests.
HA
harshy Founding member
It's in HD resolution but all the programmes are upscaled.
London Lite and Mike516 gave kudos
ST
Stuart
I thought BBC Four/CBeebies HD wasn't due for launch until early next year?

I'm assuming BBC Three HD will take the 143 LCN on the Sky EPG, replacing BBC Alba who presumably as a PSB would get first dibs on the next vacant slot.

However, I wonder whether the BBC would be allowed to buy the 144 LCN from Discovery (DMAX) for BBC Four HD? It might not go down well with TV Licence payers if it was expensive.

It would be a shame not to have all the BBC HD channels next to each other in the entertainment genre.
GO
gottago

I'm assuming BBC Three HD will take the 143 LCN on the Sky EPG, replacing BBC Alba who presumably as a PSB would get first dibs on the next vacant slot.

However, I wonder whether the BBC would be allowed to buy the 144 LCN from Discovery (DMAX) for BBC Four HD? It might not go down well with TV Licence payers if it was expensive.

It would be a shame not to have all the BBC HD channels next to each other in the entertainment genre.

Will they not be taking advantage of the HD channel swap given that they've got no regional variations to worry about? No need for such a high slot if so.
HA
harshy Founding member
That is still true, these are literally just tests we could see all of them popup as tests, they've just made a random decision to test the CBeebies/BBC Four output first.
WP
WillPS

Will they not be taking advantage of the HD channel swap given that they've got no regional variations to worry about? No need for such a high slot if so.

Personally, I hope not - as a Sky HD viewer without an Extra + or HD subscription I find it most annoying having to find the HD variants of Channel 4 etc. in the mid 200s.
MA
Markymark

Personally, I hope not - as a Sky HD viewer without an Extra + or HD subscription I find it most annoying having to find the HD variants of Channel 4 etc. in the mid 200s.

Don't understand your point ? It makes sence for the BBC/Sky to initate a swap, and have BBC 3 HD appear
on the same EPG position as BBC 3 SD (only for HD boxes)

That's exactly what UTV have arranged for themselves for Northren Ireland Sky HD boxes, UTV HD is
on Ch 103. Pity the Beeb haven't opted to do the same for BBC 1 and 2 NI HD, (and for that matter also in Wales and Scotland)
BA
bilky asko

Channel 4 HD is on 230 whether or not you're paying for + and/or HD.
GE
thegeek Founding member
harshy posted:
That is still true, these are literally just tests we could see all of them popup as tests, they've just made a random decision to test the CBeebies/BBC Four output first.
I'm sure there's a good reason for it rather than just being 'random'.
BA
bilky asko
harshy posted:
I'm sure there's a good reason for it rather than just being 'random'.

What?! So there was no coin with BBC Four and CBeebies on one side and BBC Three and CBBC on the other?

Newer posts